Goldfish Food Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GoldfishLove919

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I own 2 fancy goldfish and ever since I had them I have been feeding them natural foods, mainly from the Top Fin brand.  I am aware that Top Fin is not a good fish food brand, but I noticed that when I read the label, the ingredients were natural (shrimp, algae, etc.)  My fish were vibrantly colored and going strong.  

We recently moved and I have started feeding them mediocre fish foods from the local mediocre fish store, and they've lost their bright color and vitality.  I recently read the label in concern and found that my fish food contains sorbitol and chicken by-products!  Should I change foods?

GoldfishLove919

in my opinion the top two flake foods are tetra min, and omega one

I think you've already answered your own question, tbh!

If your fish don't seem as happy and vibrant on the new food, then it probably needs changing.

There are a couple of other possibilities, however;

did you preserve their old filter media when you moved (ie, did you keep it wet)? It could be that you've knocked out your filter bacteria with the move, and that it's that (through raised levels of ammonia and/or nitrite) that is making your fish feel sick.

or they might be outgrowing the tank and the filter might be struggling to cope with their wastes.

Have you tested their water at all? how big is their tank?

Actually, the move was about 1.5 years ago now, so I wouldn't worry about that.  I've also upgraded their tank recently, from a 10 gallon to a 25 gallon, and they seem to really enjoy the added space.  They are about 6 inches and 5 inches long, so I think the tank fits them well.

I do test their water and they're having a bit of trouble with nitrate, but I frequently clean the tank thoroughly, change the filter cartridge, and put in some stuff that lowers nitrate.

GoldfishLove919 said:
Actually, the move was about 1.5 years ago now, so I wouldn't worry about that.  I've also upgraded their tank recently, from a 10 gallon to a 25 gallon, and they seem to really enjoy the added space.  They are about 6 inches and 5 inches long, so I think the tank fits them well.

I do test their water and they're having a bit of trouble with nitrate, but I frequently clean the tank thoroughly, change the filter cartridge, and put in some stuff that lowers nitrate.

changing the filter media/cartidge too often does more harm than good.....is there only one cartidge in the filter?.....if so, you are removing all of your beneficial bacteria when you change it.....not good

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back