Goldfish Fin Rot?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anyak13

Reaction score
I recently got a oranda goldfish to put in my 30 gallon aquarium. I cycled the tank for about a month before putting in the goldfish and it has a heater and filter. The temperature is currently at 80 degrees F. I've been trying to bring down the temperature a bit because I know that goldfish do better in the 70's range. The filter isn't great, it's meant for a 30 gallon tank. So I take out about 30% of the water during water changes (which I do once or twice a week). The oranda is the only fish in the tank so far.
These are the parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 45 ppm
pH: 6.9

I alternate feeding her spinach/other greens and goldfish pellets twice a day. I've had her for less than a month and her fins were fine when I got her. It's been about a week since I've noticed her fins and tail fin becoming slightly ragged. Three days ago, I went out and got Melafix. I followed the dosing instructions and it is now her third day on Melafix. The tank has become kind of cloudy and it looks like her fins have gotten a little worse. She seems less active than before but she still devours her food and swims up when someone approaches the tank. I'm worried because I really love her and would be absolutely broken-hearted if she died. I'm not even completely sure if it is fin rot, much less if its bacterial or fungal. Can someone please, please help me and tell me what to do?
1596383710077.png1596384184669.png

Your nitrates are way too high. Do large water changes until you get it down below 20ppm. After you achieve that, do 50% daily water changes for 10 days. Add aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water on your first dose. Be sure to dissolve it first or it will sting the fish. After that, add 1/2 tablespoon of the salt Per 5 gallons of water each day after 50% water changes. He should be good after that. Melafix is good for fin rot but not for much else. If you need any further help, let me know. I use to breed goldfish and still raise them.:)

Thank you so much!!! I'll do that today.
The oranda has fin rot, right? Would you happen to know if it is bacterial or fungal, or is it too hard to tell from the picture?

I don’t see anything to indicate it’s fungal.

I forgot to tell you to ditch the heater. Goldies are cold water fish. I have never had a need to heat a goldfish tank. Even my pond goldfish live outdoors in the winter with no heater. I have to fight keeping the water cool enough, not warm enough. Fungus loves warm water.

Thank you! I've turned off my heater but the water temperature is still 80 degrees. I'm not sure how to reduce it.

Thank you! I've turned off my heater but the water temperature is still 80 degrees. I'm not sure how to reduce it.
The water should cool down over time. It might take awhile but it should cool down over the next hour, probably much sooner.

It's been almost a week of the oranda in a tank with salt in the water. A few days before I started the salt treatment, the jagged edges on her fins became rimmed with a black lining. I'm not sure if the amount of black color has increased since adding the salt, but it definitely hasn't gone away. I'm not sure what to do! She's still active and eats well. Her fins are now visibly jagged but it can't been seen from a few feet away (only if you look closely). Should I continue treating the water with salt and doing 25% water changes daily? Is there anything else I should do? How will I know if she's getting better?

Could we have a recent picture for comparison so we can see it's progress and help direct you further?

Carry on with the treatment for now unless Deanasue instructs otherwise. As a side note, you should be doing 50% water changes daily to help with the water conditions.

Also, for the sake of my own curiosity, hows the temperature doing?

EDIT - lot's of typo's and sorting text

She gets really excited whenever I go near the tank, because she thinks she’ll get fed. I tried to get a picture this morning, but you couldn’t see anything. I’ll try again in a few hours. Sorry!
I’ll try to change more water daily.
The temperature now fluctuates between 78 and 80 degrees. Right after a water change, it’s usually at 76-77ish. It goes up afterwards. Not sure why, maybe the corner of the house where the tank is located is warmer?

Black edges are a sign of healing. :). Continue good, clean water changes and maybe salt for another week.

These were the only pictures I could get after 15 minutes of taking pictures and filling up my storage data..... They’re really bad, I’m sorry! :(
IMG-20200813-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200813-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200813-WA0000.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back