Goldfish Eye Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Sean9100

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have 3 medium sized fancy goldfish in a 130 litre tank. I keep it bare bottomed and do around 70% water changes a week. A few months ago my black moor developed a donut shaped ring around her eye which I assumed was pop eye. I treated with melafix and it seemed to get a little better. It hasnā€™t got any worse. For the past couple of weeks she has developed a white eye but not over the cornea, it looks like her actual pupil has clouded which makes no sense as the pupil is a hole. This has left me very confused and I have tried to treat it with melafix again but it did not help.
They seem otherwise happy and are eating their pellets and peas but itā€™s a bit upsetting to watch her and I am hoping itā€™s not something she can pass on to the others.

Any ideas what it is? And how I can treat it?
I will include some pictures for reference

Attachments

• E7374F6D-75E8-481A-A195-DC00733506E3.jpeg
    E7374F6D-75E8-481A-A195-DC00733506E3.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 153
  • F6679410-5104-483C-8F14-672B00AEEA98.jpeg
    F6679410-5104-483C-8F14-672B00AEEA98.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 178
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is the white bit in the eye or on the outside of the eye?

If it's on the outside then it's usually scar tissue or excess mucous covering a sore or damaged eye.

If it's inside then it's probably a cataract. However, the fish are not that old and are indoors so cataracts are unlikely.

-----------------------
You can try treating them with salt.
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

-----------------------
Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH.
Make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.
Make sure the pH is above 7.0 and the GH above 150ppm.

If the water is good and the salt doesn't make any difference, you can try a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoans. But it might not make any difference so try salt for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

-----------------------
I would put a picture on the back of the tank. You can buy aquarium backings from pet shops or use some coloured card, a plastic bin liner, newspaper or anything to cover the outside. Just sticky tape the backing to the outside of the tank on the back.

I would also have a thin layer of gravel in the tank to cover the bottom and make the fish more comfortable. You don't need much, maybe 1/2 inch. Then use a gravel cleaner when you do your water changes.

They would probably benefit form having live plants to eat too. You can grow Duckweed outdoors in plastic storage tubs and add some to the tank each week for the fish to eat.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply,
It is definitely on the inside of the eyeball. I have found a picture on google that is clearer.

Inside the eyeball is a small ball that when healthy is clear blackS I thought it was the pupil but now Iā€™m not sure.

Below is the picture I forgot to add.

I am going to try salt, any idea what medication exactly I should try if this fails? A brand name I mean. I do not want to stress them out any further

Attachments

• C3FA33AA-6D0E-4882-A4C0-13307065BAE5.png
    C3FA33AA-6D0E-4882-A4C0-13307065BAE5.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 217
The fish in the picture looks like it has a small cataract. But it could be something new to inbred goldfish like moors.

I don't give name brands because every country has their own different brands. If you find out what is available in your country and post their ingredients on here I can offer more info then.

Hello,
Thanks again for the speedy reply.

Am I right Iā€™m thinking medication wouldnā€™t help a cataract?

And I am in the UK if anybody has suggestions

Fair enough,

Iā€™ll try salt and see how it goes,

Thank you for your help, Iā€™ve been worried about her so has really helped

You may want to try Epsom salt instead of aquarium salt. Itā€™s what I use for Popeye and it pulls out excess fluid and reduces swelling. This could well be an injury so keep the water crystal clean. Kanaplex will treat any infection. I donā€™t play around with eye issues in my Goldieā€™s. The size of their eyes make them a target for issues leading to blindness. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back