Goldfish And Sororities

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Manniac

Reaction score
So I walked into my biology lab today and the girl who sits across from me had a 2-2.5" goldfish with her in a water bottle that *barely* had enough room for the poor thing to turn around. It was one of those bottles that have a flip top so you can drink without unscrewing the lid, and she just had it unpopped to give him some air. It was gasping a bit, but she assured me "that's just how he breathes I think". I asked her why she had it, and she said it was part of her initiation for her sorority. They're giving these girls goldfish and forcing them to carry them around in water bottles wherever they go for five days. And if the fish die, they have to carry the dead fish or buy themselves a new one.

I can't even, you guys. I told her I would gladly take him at the end of the week, but who even knows if it'll survive. I feel so bad for it and the others, and the fact that someone came up with the idea of basically torturing a fish for a week to prove you're good enough for a sorority just sickens me. She doesn't even have any dechlorinator to change out the nasty water.

So there's my story. Figured I would share it on here because when I talk to people in person about fish their eyes kind of glaze over a bit, or they give me the "it's just a fish" talk. Keeping my fingers crossed it will survive long enough for me to take it and eventually find it a better suited home.

I don't know the exact context or how it is where you are but i would imagine in a fair few places that counts as severe animal cruelty. Perhaps you should look into making an anonymous report to the appropriate authority.

I believe I would have to contact some school administrators about this animal abuse if it were me.  

I'm looking in to where I can report them. I don't know which sorority it is for sure but hopefully they'll still be able to do something

Most reactions

Back