Goldfish and moving fish questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iā€™m brainstorming for what to do with my new 20 gallon. I have considered a split betta tank, Iā€™ve always wanted a gold fancy goldfish, and now that I know the basics about fish keeping, I may attempt. So my question is, what kind of goldfish can you keep in a 20 gallon. And if none, what kind can you keep in a 29 gallon? I have some livebearers in my 29 gallon, which I stocked thinking it was only 20 gallons.

Iā€™m brainstorming for what to do with my new 20 gallon. I have considered a split betta tank, Iā€™ve always wanted a gold fancy goldfish, and now that I know the basics about fish keeping, I may attempt. So my question is, what kind of goldfish can you keep in a 20 gallon. And if none, what kind can you keep in a 29 gallon? I have some livebearers in my 29 gallon, which I stocked thinking it was only 20 gallons.
Gold fish are super dirty so frequent large water changes are a must. They also need highly aerated water. So lots of water movement but not strong currents are a must. They require cooler water will eat most plants would recommend feeding them de shelled peas to keep them regular. They need tall tanks over long tanks as they are a deep bodied fish. , fancy goldfish get pretty big and are twice as dirty as most fish.general recommendation for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons per fish so a 29 for 2 is too small.:(

Gold fish are super dirty so frequent large water changes are a must. They also need highly aerated water. So lots of water movement but not strong currents are a must. They require cooler water will eat most plants would recommend feeding them de shelled peas to keep them regular. They need tall tanks over long tanks as they are a deep bodied fish. , fancy goldfish get pretty big and are twice as dirty as most fish.general recommendation for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons per fish so a 29 for 2 is too small.:(
Well Iā€™m super appreciative for the info and I think Iā€™ll stick with my bettas haha! Iā€™m about to start my last year of nursing school so even if I had a big enough tank, I wouldnā€™t want to be do so many water changes lol. Thanks so much

A 20 gallon tank would be perfect for a fancy goldfish. Make sure you donā€™t buy a common goldfish for this tank for it will be much too small to accommodate their needs. I actually have a black moor goldfish in a 20 gallon and he does excellent!!

Last edited:
Sorry Iā€™m just jumping in here. I raise goldfish and breed a few. Use your 29G tank. One fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons with 10 gallons more for each additional one. They are indeed, a companion fish and do need a friend. They arenā€™t ā€œdirty fishā€ but do have large bio loads. You will need to do weekly tank cleaning and 50 - 70% water change. They can grow up to 10ā€ if moved to larger tanks. I have 3 in a 75G and one is over 8ā€. They are friendly, smart, and good pets. They can live for up to 10 years. My biggest is going on 5 years old. They are cool water fish so try to keep them in 65-75F water. I love to show off my big momma. Her name is ā€œBugā€ because she was so tiny when I got her that she looked like a bug. Hereā€™s a pic. First pic is her daughter, about 5ā€ long and 2nd pic is Bug.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry Iā€™m just jumping in here. I raise goldfish and breed a few. Use your 29G tank. One fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons with 10 gallons more for each additional one. They are indeed, a companion fish and do need a friend. They arenā€™t ā€œdirty fishā€ but do have large bio loads. You will need to do weekly tank cleaning and 50 - 70% water change. They can grow up to 10ā€ if moved to larger tanks. I have 3 in a 75G and one is over 8ā€. They are friendly, smart, and good pets. They can live for up to 10 years. My biggest is going on 5 years old. They are cool water fish so try to keep them in 65-75F water. I love to show off my big momma. Her name is ā€œBugā€ because she was so tiny when I got her that she looked like a bug. Hereā€™s a pic. First pic is her daughter, about 5ā€ long and 2nd pic is Bug.View attachment 112707View attachment 112709
Thank you so much for the info! And Bug is gorgeous!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back