Golden Wonder Killi's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smm1027

Reaction score
We have had our 55 gallon tank for about a year now and have golden wonder killi's for about 9 months. Has anyone had experince with these eating other smaller fish in the tank?

I recently bought group of guppies (I couldn't resist they were a cool black/purple color and green leopards) and only have 2 of the 5 left! No bodies, so I am assuming that someone in the tank is eating them. We do have other fish about the same size (all tetras) that the killis don't touch. There are other fairly large fish in the tank (African leaf fish, clown loaches) but they don't go near the guppies.

I just read online that the killi's can get to almost 6"! Mine are about 3-4 inches now, I cannot imagine them getting much bigger.

Golden wonder killies certainly do eat smaller fish and guppies would have provided delicious treats for them, as said by JJ leaf fish are also predators that will snack on any fish that fits into their mouths. Any future additions will have to be at least 3 inches and fairly large bodied to avoid becoming food.

Golden Wonders (Aplocheilus lineatus gold) are the Indian form of Pike, they are surface swimmers and if it can get it in it's mouth it will, so small fish are a no no in the same tank. :crazy:

The males can grow to around 4" and the females from 3 to 3.5".

Just sold two males that I bred to my local LF's as they were an accidental spawn whilst I baby sat their parents, lovely fish but not with my other killi's who don't grow as fast :D

To save the last 2 guppise (another disappeared) I have moved them and my slightly larger female guppy (not done on purpose thought my other guppy was a male, never really bothered to look until after we got all male guppies) to a one gallon hex tank for a week or two. Since we have neons the same size as these guppies. I am really surprised that the guppies were eaten. Maybe neons are an acquired taste.

Around 4" for these in the home aquarium. They look lovely when young (2") but the problem is that they become extremely predatory especially when adult. Aquarists shops should provide guidelines when keeping these in a community aquarium, as many a sad tale has been told surrounding Aplochelius lineatus Gold.
Regards
BigC

I bought 4 Golden Wonders about a year ago, and within 24 hours they has polished off a shoal of 6 Neons!!!! :S I came down in the morning to see tails poking out of their mouths! :sick:

Needless to say I took them back for a refund and they gave me 10 new neons :D

Julia

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back