Golden Wonder Killi

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chuka1212

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought my first killies today! I have had a book about killies for years but could never find them in this podunk place I live, but now I have. The book gives me great info on general conditions/breeding but not with this particular species. What should I know about the Golden Wonders? Are they perennial or annual? Are they mop spawners? Are they sensitive to water conditions/temperature, and are they suitable in a community? Any info is greatly appreciated!!

(I know I should have done a bit of research before today, but I couldn't pass them up and had a nice, mature, empty 10 g waiting for them)

Here is a picture of him by the way, just to make sure I have the right species.

goldenwonderkilli.jpg

Below follows a reply to a previous post from a fellow member I hope it is of some use to you.

Male Aplochelius lineatus "Gold" will be a more intense colour than the female which will be duller in colour leaning toward a silvery gold if you get my meaning. The males unpaired fins will sometimes have red edges and are longer than the females. You may not need this but below is some personal breeding notes for the above species.

Breeding Golden Wonders Aplochelius lineatus Gold. (My Way)
So you are attempting to breed Aplochelius lineatus Gold. I would give the pair a tank of their own 18x10x10. The tank being bare except for a small air driven sponge filter, heater set to 75'F and a couple of acrylic yarn spawning mops. http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...awning_Mop.html
only 3/4 fill the tank and provide a tight fitting lid as these killifish will jump. The water is soft and slightly acidic with a pH of 6.8. The male will drive the female into the mops and adopt a stance alongside the female, the pair will then form an "S" shaped pose as the male squeezes the female into the fibres of the mop. This is followed by a slight jerk and a single egg is deposited and fertilised, then the pair release only to start the process over and over again.
(Alongside the usual staple flake I like to give this species live and frozen food)
The eggs are quite large and can withstand a fair degree of handling. Pick the eggs from the mops daily ( gently, with your fingers). and place them in a margarine tub, floated in the parent tank. Remove fungussed/unfertilised eggs daily. the fry will hatch in or around 10-14 days. They are quite large and can take newly hatched brineshrimp and microworm from the outset. Keep the adults well fed (livefoods, frozen and flake) and keep their tank clean, removing any uneaten food on a daily basis. Water changes are also an essential part of killifish husbandry and I like to change about 1/3 of the water weekly.
These fish are quite a large species easily attaining 3-4 inches in the home aquaria, they are predatory by nature, so please do not combine them with small tetras or danios etc.
I cull the runts and slower growing fishes for the simple reason of maintaing good solid stock, the smaller ones will only be bullied and subsequently killed by the larger ones. When the fry are starting to sex out you will notice a fair amount of squabbling, especially amongst the males. Take out the females and rear these seperately.
This is a nice species to breed for the novice killifish enthuasist, they present little or no problems in maintaining, breeding and the rearing of fry and present a stepping stone to go on and attempt some of the more exotic species.
I hope this was of some help to you in some form or other.
Regards
BigC

Just a quick note these aren't annuals, and spend most if not all their time near the top waterline.

Hi Colin !!

Hi Amerce.
Nice to be back. Just returned from diving off The Great Barrier Reef...........totally amazing.
Regards
Colin

Thanks so much for the info guys, I will begin to make some spawning mops... I am pretty excited. One quick question.

I have been keeping them together for a few weeks now, feeding them well. has their been no breeding because of the absence of spawning mops, or is there something I should do to trigger the breeding? (ie temp change, diet change, lighting, etc?)

Hi,
Stupid question maybe but I have to ask.... "Are you sure you have a sexed pair"
Give me some info of your existing setup. including water stats.
Regards
BigC

Hi,
Stupid question maybe but I have to ask.... "Are you sure you have a sexed pair"
Give me some info of your existing setup. including water stats.
Regards
BigC

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I thought the stinkin website was supposed to notify me of any replies, guess not. Anyways, yes I am almost positive I have a male and female, the male is way bright green with red, the other quite dull with very little red/green. My colorful one always harrasses the other one, so based on that behavior and the colors, I think I have a male and female... am I right?

My setup is a 10gal with gravel, and just a few low lying plants on the bottom, the temp is in the upper 70's, Ammonia 0, Nitrates & Nitrites 0, and pH of 8.4 (a bit higher than I would like). I don't have any spawning mops and am not sure how to make them, I noticed you posted a link to a site about mops but it appears to be a corrupt one. Thanks so much for the help by the way, I would really love to get some killi fry!!!

Hey BigC, thanks for reposting the link... That is very detailed, I think I will make my mop tomorrow! I almost got rid of my pair, but will try my hand at breeding them a bit longer. Did you agree from my pics that I have a male and female? And what other things could I do to stimulate breeding or do you think it was just the lack of a mop? Do they really only breed in a mop, or would they stoop to lower levels and do it in low lying plants? Thanks man, I am new to the world of killies so your advice is greatly appreciated.

It very much looks like you have a pair there, These (gold colour morph) can be slightly difficult to sex on occaisions. Females have more rounded finnage and males are slightly more colourful.
They will spawn given a variety of frozen/flake/live food, temp around 75'F, and a neutral to slightly acidic pH. You could add a little bit of Blackwater extract or water that has been run through peat or some indian almond leaf as a water tonic.
Eggs are quite large and abundant. You really can't miss with these, they are sooo easy to breed and rear.
Good luck
Regards
BigC

Ok thanks for the encouraging words, I will give them more of a variety of foods, get a spawning mop, and try to lower the pH, I'll let you know when and if anything happens, thanks for all the help!

Hey BigC!!! My killi laid eggs on the spawning mop I made for her on Tuesday!!! I couldn't believe it. I was actually going to take it out of the water for a while because I thought they hadn't done anything, but as I took it out I saw a bunch of clear little eggs on it, it was awesome. Any pointers on what to do next? How soon do I seperate the eggs from the parents, or is it necessary, and how long will it tank until they hatch. Thanks for all the help! They would have never laid if it weren't for you, man!

Oh, I just read your first post and it explains what to do, I will pick the eggs off and put them in a little net breeding thing I have... I can hardly wait 10-14 days.

There you go!
Best of luck rearing the fry.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back