Golden Gourami - Sick Or Hurt

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Something is wrong with my beautiful little golden gourami, would greatly appreciate any help for my little girl.
sad.png
Sorry if this is not considered an emergency. Thank you.

Tank size: 55 Gallons
pH: 7.6 (I think, the color didn't match the 7.6 mark, it has a more greenish color but it doesn't match the others either. I did not do a High pH test.)
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: Not sure, see pics below.
kH: No idea
gH: No idea
tank temp: 74-75F, currently. It should be higher, may need to fiddle with the heater.
confused.gif

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Looks like a white patch with scales missing on the top of her head. She is acting a little more shy than usual.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 25% each week, sometimes more.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Prime Dechlorinator

Tank inhabitants: 1 Golden Gourami, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 11 Rummynose Tetras, 8 Albino Corydoras, 5 Khuli Loaches

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): The BN pleco & a chunk of wood on 10-24-13

Exposure to chemicals: None (?)

Digital photo (include if possible):

Nitrate, not sure what it is, although obviously a bit high..
Flash on
100_1982.jpg

Flash off
100_1983.jpg

Gourami
100_1970.jpg

100_1973.jpg

100_1974.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1977.jpg

Here is a FTS, to show the wood. I'm wondering if she could've hurt herself on it.
100_1715.jpg

I was about to say are you sure your 'little girl' isn't a boy when I saw the first photo of her but then looked back at your sexing thread. In those image she definitely looks female :p

To answer the your question, I'd say she's hurt, not sick. Unless her behaviour has changed, I wouldn't really worry :)

Looking at the images, my guess would be that she's got trapped somewhere or has scraped against something, possibly the new bogwood! Your best bet is to just keep an eye on her and make sure your parameters are perfect 
misc-thumbsup.gif

Yeah I noticed that after I looked at it!
I would've thought if the wood was going to hurt her she would've gotten hurt by now, but I guess not?
I'll keep an eye on her, I'm terrible with judging the color shades so any idea on what the nitrates are at? Are they too high? Thank you so much by the way. :)

I agree with Josh. Fish (indeed a female) is looking good apart from the damege. Try to keep the water pristine / probably add some Indian Almond leaves to prevent infection aso.

Don't think nitrates are too high. They can go up to about 50 before you should be worried.

Well, I can't tell if they're 40 or 80 :p Curse my eyes and these too close together shades!
I'm glad you also think she's fine besides that. Maybe I should be doing more water changes, just until it heals?
Can't do the indian almond leaves as no idea where to get them, and my father pays for all the fish things. He likes the water clear. ^^' Although maybe we could do that til she heals.. -shrug-

Think in the States you're using Melafix or stuff like that for infection-prevention ???
If so I'd use that.

Let's just say the nitrates are at 60ppm, right in the middle 
tongue2.gif

40ppm can be considered as high and ideally, you want it to be below 20ppm so a couple of more frequent water changes would help. The nitrate level of your tap water probably won't be any more than 10ppm.

Personally, I wouldn't add Melafix as things should happily heal on their own but it's up to you :)

Yea I was going to say looks like she is coming in and out of a hole or overhang maybe on the wood, or that other cave decoration, and it brushing up against her beginning to wear down on her scales.

She's healing up, it's barely noticeable now ^_^ Here are some pictures

100_2091.jpg

100_2094.jpg

100_2099.jpg

100_2100.jpg

100_2115.jpg

looks like she is getting better, little on the fat side. would recommend to lesson the feedings.

There's nothing I can do unfortunately as she eats with my cories :/ she barely gets any of the other stuff I put in that is supposed to be for her and the rummynose tetras

glad it is going away, one of my otos have a similar mark on its face, looks to be worn, i believe its from doing circles on the glass, going to up their numbers so they feel safer, and hope it goes away!

Great news. Could be the diet why she is looking rather chubby (female Gouramis do by the way !) Try to variate with food and try to feed some vegs as well (blanched lettuce for instance).

Yes Ech she does circles on the glass quite a bit. She likes to go around the tree that's on the right. I have no idea how to make her stop doing it :(

It's been agreed by many that she's female, so is her belly of any concern or should I try to do something about it? I'm not sure what other foods to give her.
I tried giving them cucumber the other night, which I know isn't really nutritious but it's the only thing we had and I thought they might want to try it. The only ones who liked it were my pleco and the snails. :p

Thank you to everyone by the way :)

Females use to be a bit chubby. Don't really think she has a problem right now, but a variated diet with some vegs is a good thing. They don't eat cumcumber. As I said I sometimes feed my Pearls Lettuce that I boil some time to soften it. Peas is also possible and some guys in the UK feed garlic (as health booster).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back