Golden/Blue Rams + Cherry Barbs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Filip

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have another question:
So I have my tank set up (looks gorgeous btw), I added live bacteria (fritz zyme 7), hot-roded the filter, I got tons of live plants, water parameters are ok for a new tank, but I'll wait for a while to see that they stabilize before adding fish. even if fritz says that I can add fish right away. Now I need a small-er, hardy fish to add in a couple of weeks to"test the livability" of the tank, and see what adding fish does to the balance. Since the other fish that I'm gonna put in are very fragile, (Rams, Otocinclus, Cherry shrimp) I need something hardy but still nice that I can be proud of, and something that isn't harlequin rasboras since the ones that they have at my LFS always look a bit finicky.
Parameters:
Ammonia 0.25 - 0.5
Nitrites 0 > 0.25
Ph:6.5 - 7.5
20-gallon semi-tall (24"x12.2"x16.5") Planted. Sand/stratum raatio 40/60.
Plan is:
2x Ram
5x Oto
4x cherry shrimp
I was thinking about adding 5 cherry barbs since they are sort of small and I hear they are hardy( at least more than the other fish that I plan on keeping) and they look nice too. What do you guys think?
Thx, Filip

To test the "livability" of your tank, continue to test with your water. When your ammonia and nitrite are zero, and you have a nitrate reading, your water is suitable for fish.

Just because a fish lives, doesn't mean it is thriving or healthy.

Stock the tank with fish that you want to keep when the tank is ready.

You're getting there.

No, german blue rams need temperatures over 80F to stay healthy long term.

Cherry barbs need below 78F.

Theyre not compatible unfortunately.

Thanks for the answers!
I am of course going to wait for A and N to be at 0, and for parameters to stabilize.
I just wanted to see what fish I could get that would survive(or shrug off) a spike in A or N if that happened for whatever reason?
Edit:
I just don't want to put my main fish in and suddenly have a spike, and since they are sensitive, they might die.....
I know I'm probably overreacting but I already put so much effort/time and money into my tank, I just don't want to have to start all over again because of fish dying :blush:

You have live plants, so assuming they are alive and growing--and I am not being facetious, new plants do sometimes begin to die--you would be able to add the intended fish. It might be preferable to add "x" before "y" but we can look at that when we know all the intended species. Shoaling fish for instance should always be added together at the same time because they will settle in much better with less risk of ich, and species that develop an hierarchy need the entire group initially to avoid real issues later.

Fast growing plants, and floating plants are the best here, will easily take up the ammonia produced by any fish level that is not overstocking the tank to begin with. A photo of the planted tank will allow us to pin this down better. And obviously knowing the intended fish. As another member noted, with the common (blue) ram in any of its forms you must have the tank water warm, above 80F, and many tropical fish cannot manage with this long-term.

Another issue to recognize is that the rams must be a bonded pair or one may well be dead very soon. The fish must select their mates from the group, if you want a pair. A sinbgle fish obviously can be any fish, alone.

diz.jpg

This is the tank: There are a few leaves of Anubias that can't be seen behind the big dragon stone sculpture.
(No co2, yes fertilizer)

If you have any suggestions on what to keep with the Rams (probably gold) then I'm open to it, since I still haven't bought anything...
Edit:
If we can't find anything for the rams, I might be able to go with Kribensis(if I could) but I reaaaaaallllyyy would love to have Rams:wub::lol:

If you have any suggestions on what to keep with the Rams (probably gold) then I'm open to it, since I still haven't bought anything...
Edit:
If we can't find anything for the rams, I might be able to go with Kribensis(if I could) but I reaaaaaallllyyy would love to have Rams:wub::lol:

Once those plants show signs of growth, you should be good to go with fish. The swords for example produce new leaves from the centre of the crown, and once they are settled these should begin to appear. Especially if you give each of them a substrate fert tab.

There are options for warm water tanks. Paracheirodon axelrodi (cardinal tetra). The closely related P. simulans (false or green neon) is even better, but it must have very soft water so the GH needs to be known. I would have to dig through my data and I know previously I have found some.

Plants sometimes react to higher temperatures, though I believe swords can become accustomed. The habitat of this species is devoid of any aquatic plants. The savannas are prairie-like stretches punctuated by small oases of green that have small streams that partly form lake-like expansions. The only plants are terrestrial vegetation extending into the water at the shores. Branchwork and leaf litter over the sand/mud forms the habitat of this fish.

I don't know the exact gh, but I know that the water where I live is very soft.
Thanks for the tip on the Sword :)
I'll also look if my LFS carries the tetras that you mentioned!

I also have one more question: Do I need to put an airstone in the tank? The filter is "meant" for a bigger tank than what I have, and it does create a lot of surface agitation. Will this be enough for the plants/fish? I plan to d weekly water changes so that would also replenish the oxygen, right?

I also have one more question: Do I need to put an airstone in the tank? The filter is "meant" for a bigger tank than what I have, and it does create a lot of surface agitation. Will this be enough for the plants/fish? I plan to d weekly water changes so that would also replenish the oxygen, right?

The filter may be too much. You want very little water flow in a tank this size with these types of fish--rams live in small stream lagoons that are very quiet. If it were me, I woould use a single or maybe dual sponge filter, or alternatively a small internal filter like an Aqueon Quiet Flow which can be turned down. These will produce some surface disturbance without strong currents to bother the fish.

Floating plants would also really help here, plants like Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back