Gold Severum and Polar Blue Parrot breeding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

xanflisher

Reaction score
I recently started a 55 gallon central american cichlid tank with the intent to upgrade to a 75 or 120 at some point. While I intended to have 2 blood parrots with the group, I saw a terribly taken care of Polar Blue Parrot at this one of the shops I check every week so I decided to take her home and just have 1 other Blood Parrot. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a her at this point because as the weeks have gone on Iā€™ve been introducing a gold severum, platinum angelfish, and electric blue acara after theyā€™ve gone through their quarantine process in the different 10 gallons I have, it appears the gold severum and polar parrot have bred and the gold severum is the male. Aggression has been pretty minimal until the last few days, now the Polar Parrot seems to have laid eggs (Iā€™m not 100% certain however thereā€™s tons of brown dots on the inside of this skull) and chases down the acara or angel, but not the severum if they come near it. Also, the gold severum has random spurts where itā€™ll chase down the acara, which almost concludes that the severum is the one breeding with the polar parrot. What should I do from here? I donā€™t really want to get rid of this Polar Parrot but I donā€™t want to cause all sorts of aggression as I still need to add my blood parrot and some corys. Will the other fish just end up eating the fry? Will they just continue to breed? There hasnā€™t been any chase down or attack thatā€™s led to torn fins or injury, so iā€™m not leaning towards setting up the Polar Parrots own tank, however I will raise the fry if necessary because I feel like thatā€™s my responsibility as a fish keeper, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20DF067B-435B-4956-AB13-0FBD3DB19548.png
    20DF067B-435B-4956-AB13-0FBD3DB19548.png
    433.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 078526BE-95A8-4D9D-A933-572E9477A9A2.png
    078526BE-95A8-4D9D-A933-572E9477A9A2.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 99
I recently started a 55 gallon central american cichlid tank with the intent to upgrade to a 75 or 120 at some point. While I intended to have 2 blood parrots with the group, I saw a terribly taken care of Polar Blue Parrot at this one of the shops I check every week so I decided to take her home and just have 1 other Blood Parrot. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a her at this point because as the weeks have gone on Iā€™ve been introducing a gold severum, platinum angelfish, and electric blue acara after theyā€™ve gone through their quarantine process in the different 10 gallons I have, it appears the gold severum and polar parrot have bred and the gold severum is the male. Aggression has been pretty minimal until the last few days, now the Polar Parrot seems to have laid eggs (Iā€™m not 100% certain however thereā€™s tons of brown dots on the inside of this skull) and chases down the acara or angel, but not the severum if they come near it. Also, the gold severum has random spurts where itā€™ll chase down the acara, which almost concludes that the severum is the one breeding with the polar parrot. What should I do from here? I donā€™t really want to get rid of this Polar Parrot but I donā€™t want to cause all sorts of aggression as I still need to add my blood parrot and some corys. Will the other fish just end up eating the fry? Will they just continue to breed? There hasnā€™t been any chase down or attack thatā€™s led to torn fins or injury, so iā€™m not leaning towards setting up the Polar Parrots own tank, however I will raise the fry if necessary because I feel like thatā€™s my responsibility as a fish keeper, let me know what you think.
they will most likely eat the fry so try to save them

Impossible for the two fish to breed. If the severum is guarding the eggs, it either layed eggs that are not fertilized or spawned with the acara.

they will most likely eat the fry so try to save them

Eating the fries are a 100% guaranteed ... its just about the prefect timing.
So if I didn't want the fry I should just leave them in there? I'm not necessarily keen on raising some random severum/polar parrot hybrid. I can't seem to find anyone with the same combination so I have no clue what these fish would look like. Should I be considering getting rid of the female? Seems like it would totally keep happening over and over.

Impossible for the two fish to breed. If the severum is guarding the eggs, it either layed eggs that are not fertilized or spawned with the acara.
The Polar Blue Parrot is guarding the eggs as seen in the photos. I've never seen fish breeding behavior before but I'm gonna guess this is it. (Always in the decoration with the eggs that look like brown dots along the back of the skull ornament, chases down the acara and angelfish if they come near but not the severum, and comes out looking for food every once and a while then goes back inside) I also believe the severum and acara are both males.

Are you sure its a polar parrot? It looks more like a female Convict - possibly a Honduran Red Point?

Convicts and Severums can cross breed so it is possible you have fertile eggs. (Even if it is a parrot the new polar strain is crossed with a convict species) Have you noticed any fry yet as they should be hatching in the next few days? Possibly some already?

Just a quick note on your stocking - you mentioned you wanted a central american tank but most of these fish are south american, the Angelfish possibly wont do too well in there with the others as they can get injured easily and youve got some other tough cichlids in there, Angels do better in dedicated set ups as a group, planted tank, non aggressive tank mates etc.

Wills

Polar blues have absolutely no blood parrot in their genetics. It is one of those industry falsehoods. They are just short body convicts, with a fancied up name.

Polar blues have absolutely no blood parrot in their genetics. It is one of those industry falsehoods. They are just short body convicts, with a fancied up name.
Thatā€™s interesting I didnā€™t know that Iā€™ve seen some in shops that had the parrot face too - not my cup of tea either way but important for keepers to know they just have a short bodied psycho in their tank rather than a cross bred parrot who seem to be a bit more placid from their questionable origins.

Thatā€™s interesting I didnā€™t know that Iā€™ve seen some in shops that had the parrot face too - not my cup of tea either way but important for keepers to know they just have a short bodied psycho in their tank rather than a cross bred parrot who seem to be a bit more placid from their questionable origins.
Oh no. Once they get established in their territory all the convict comes out. I had a group of 7, 3 males, 4 females. And they were complete demons. Responsible for the death of 2 standard convicts, a firemouth, and a blue acara. Had to rehome most of them. (I kept 2) I even had the males in a different tank than the females, and a pair of females decided to pair up and lay eggs like they were a male/female pair.

Although, they are making different color blood parrots now as well, and I donā€™t mean the way they did it in the past with dye injections. These new ones (that I know of) are ā€˜panda parrots,ā€™ black and white, and ā€˜Santa parrots,ā€™ orange with a white spot on the head.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back