Gold Ram, Male Or Female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gladdish

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a 60litre tank with 2 gold rams, a shoal of 7 neon tetras, a shoal of 7 black neon tetras, 4 rock shrimp and a 7cm feather fin syno.
I was wondering if it is possible to sex the two gold rams.
One (which i beleive to be male) has alot more vibrant colourings than the other. The other ram (which i beleive to be female) has a VERY slight pinky/red
tinge on the side and underside of her body. It is also alittle more plump than the "male" ram.
The "male" ram follows the other ram around where ever it goes.

What are the sexual differences in rams?
Is how ive described their behaviour a normal occurance behave laying and fertilising the eggs?

Thanks alot,

Luke.

that is the signs of a female. i wouldnt necessarily say those are signs of a pair but you could have one

It can be hard to tell if they are really young. But one of the best ways to tell is the Male will have a slightly longer spicks on the first few rays of the Dorsal fin. Males are also larger most of the time.

Yes the females will have more of a round belly and it will have a hint of pink. Or even red around breeding time.

When they are young and first introduced to the tank they will hang out with each-other no matter what sex. Once they become adjusted you might notice them acting different toward each other.

Sounds like you might have a pair. Do you have any photos? I hope you do have a pair they are fun.

Thanks guys,

They've been in the tank for over 2 months, and they are never really apart. (only when the "male" turns his back and doesnt see the other one swim off, but then hes not far behind when he does realize :D)

I will get some photos later of them and up load them.

Luke.

If they look different enough, isn't that a good sign that you have a pair? :)

Seriously tho - sounds like you do have a pair.

Another good way to tell is by looking at the anal fin. With the females it is usually going to be shorter and have a round tip to it. In most cases it will not go past where the tail and body connect (don't know the name for this?). With a male ram it will usually be longer and come to a point and usually will go past where the tail and body connect. Sorry for not knowing the actual name for this body part. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back