Gold Gourami - Territorialism

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fox46

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A male gold gourami has been in my new 180l tank a couple of weeks on his own apart from a couple of guppies. He'd been bullied in his other tank by another male gold and was very happy in his new surroundings. When I introduced a male pearl gourami with two females into the same tank (he'd lived with them quite peacefully in the past) he started after them immediately, something that had never happened before. As a precaution whilst the Pearls got to settle in, I removed the male Gold to a hospital tank where he's been for about a week or so now. Would you think it might be okay to reintroduce him to the tank now that the territorialism thing might have been broken by a spell on his own? Or should I give it a bit longer?

That wouldn't be good. Its not really like his instinct to carve out territory will just leave, it's in his DNA. I would rehome, you probably won't be able to reintroduce into the tank.

Gold gouramis are one of the varieties of three spot gourami, which are one of the most aggressive species. One member had a female of a different colour three spot which killed every other fish in the tank.
I would either find another tank for the gold gourami or rehome him. If he has started aggressive behaviour once he matured, he won't stop.

That wouldn't be good. Its not really like his instinct to carve out territory will just leave, it's in his DNA. I would rehome, you probably won't be able to reintroduce into the tank.
I thought that might be the case. I'm guessing that it's not an option to put him back in his old tank with the dominant bully either who's probably become even more territorial.

Gold gouramis are one of the varieties of three spot gourami, which are one of the most aggressive species. One member had a female of a different colour three spot which killed every other fish in the tank.
I would either find another tank for the gold gourami or rehome him. If he has started aggressive behaviour once he matured, he won't stop.
Thanks. Our lfs will think it's their birthday, I've already rehomed three golds with them and swopped two mature male pearls for two quite small females. I can't justify another tank just for him - he's in a 30l at the moment (which is still more space than his domineering mate allowed him when they shared a tank) but there's nowhere appropriate in the house for another.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back