Gold gourami died

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought two gold gouramis. But both died. I have zebra fish and swordtails in it. They all are fine but why gold gouramis died?

I bought two gold gouramis. But both died. I have zebra fish and swordtails in it. They all are fine but why gold gouramis died?
Does gourami can stand in aquarium salt water?
I added 2 teaspoon salt in 20 gallon tank

Does gourami can stand in aquarium salt water?
I added 2 teaspoon salt in 20 gallon tank
A gourami would not be suitable in a salt water aquarium. Were they in good condition when you bought them, do they look in good condition, any signs of disease.

Yes, gouramis can tolerate 2 teaspoons of salt in 20 gallons of water.

-------------------------
How long did you have the fish for before they died?
What symptoms did they show before they died?
How did you acclimatise them to the tank?
Do you have any pictures of the fish?

If the fish died shortly after being put into your tank, the most likely cause was a major difference in water chemistry between your tank and the shop's tank.
What was the pH of the shop tank and your tank?

The other possibilities include:

Being in the bag for too long after you bought them and before they got added to the tank.
How long were they in the bag for?
Was the weather really hot when you got them?

The fish might have only just come into the shop on the same day you bought them.
Contact the shop and inform them of the loss and ask when the gouramis came in.
Find out when the shop did a water change on the gourami tank.

Your tank water has a problem like ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate.
Have you checked your water quality and pH?
When was the last time you did a water change on your tank?

A gourami would not be suitable in a salt water aquarium. Were they in good condition when you bought them, do they look in good condition, any signs of disease.
One of them had white spots

Yes, gouramis can tolerate 2 teaspoons of salt in 20 gallons of water.

-------------------------
How long did you have the fish for before they died?
What symptoms did they show before they died?
How did you acclimatise them to the tank?
Do you have any pictures of the fish?

If the fish died shortly after being put into your tank, the most likely cause was a major difference in water chemistry between your tank and the shop's tank.
What was the pH of the shop tank and your tank?

The other possibilities include:

Being in the bag for too long after you bought them and before they got added to the tank.
How long were they in the bag for?
Was the weather really hot when you got them?

The fish might have only just come into the shop on the same day you bought them.
Contact the shop and inform them of the loss and ask when the gouramis came in.
Find out when the shop did a water change on the gourami tank.

Your tank water has a problem like ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate.
Have you checked your water quality and pH?
When was the last time you did a water change on your tank?
I bought one gourami 3 days ago. And he had white spots so i added some salt. Then he was sitting at bottom.so i removed him and put him in old water which was brown in color due to wood. And he died next day. Then i got another gourami and when i brought home at that time bag was punctured so he was hardly breathing so i kept him immediately with another water in other pot with low level water and within 2-3 minutes he became active then after 10 mins i added some tank water in that pot (because tank water is tap water without chlorine n chloramine) and after 10mins i added him in main tank. And within 5 mins he was lying on bottom on one side so i picked him and put him again pot water but he died. In all this time zebras and swordtails were there but they are fine as usual.

Is your tank cycled? Water Paremeters? Maybe they were sick in the store and you put them in the tank and they died from stress +sickeness?

Is your tank cycled? Water Paremeters? Maybe they were sick in the store and you put them in the tank and they died from stress +sickeness?
Yes.tank was cycled. I dont know parameter of water but zebra fish and swordtail fry were there since 1 month.

You need to set up a tank specifically for them and make sure it is filtered and aerated before use. The brown water (tannin stained) could be really acidic, have ammonia, no oxygen or be contaminated by something. You need to make sure the wood used to make the brown water is safe, and there is no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or anything else in it, and the pH is safe.

The first fish may have had a disease.

The second fish might have been squashed on the way home. If it wasn't squashed and there was a small amount of water in the bag it should have been fine for oxygen because they are labyrinth fishes that can breath air from the atmosphere. However, moving the fish from tank/ pot to tank is not good for them. The combination of stress from leaking bag, tank to pot, etc, would have contributed to the death.

It's also possible the fish was weak from disease or being treated for disease at the shop, especially if it came form the same tank as the first fish.

I would avoid buying gouramis from the shop for a few weeks and check any fish for diseases before buying them. Then put the new fish into a quarantine tank for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before adding it to the main tank.

You need to set up a tank specifically for them and make sure it is filtered and aerated before use. The brown water (tannin stained) could be really acidic, have ammonia, no oxygen or be contaminated by something. You need to make sure the wood used to make the brown water is safe, and there is no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or anything else in it, and the pH is safe.

The first fish may have had a disease.

The second fish might have been squashed on the way home. If it wasn't squashed and there was a small amount of water in the bag it should have been fine for oxygen because they are labyrinth fishes that can breath air from the atmosphere. However, moving the fish from tank/ pot to tank is not good for them. The combination of stress from leaking bag, tank to pot, etc, would have contributed to the death.

It's also possible the fish was weak from disease or being treated for disease at the shop, especially if it came form the same tank as the first fish.

I would avoid buying gouramis from the shop for a few weeks and check any fish for diseases before buying them. Then put the new fish into a quarantine tank for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks before adding it to the main tank.
Now i will do all things and buy another for last time.
Banded gouramis are very hardy. You put them anywhere they still be ok. I gave my banded gourami to my friend. He is still in good condition.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back