The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
I seem to be seeing a lot of posts regarding Goldfish in kept in tanks.
There is IMO a lot of confusion about this subject, so I thought that I'd try to put some relevant information here.

Goldfish can live for 20+ years and reach sizes in excess of 15"

You need 20 U.S. gallons for the first fish
and 10 U.S. gallons for each additional fish
This means that in order to keep 5 goldfish
in a tank you would require 60 U.S. gallons.

A goldfish will not grow to its enviroment.
Its' body may, however the internal organs will not.
This can lead to serious problems with deformaties and death.

Fancy Goldfish (moores, fantails, lionheads, etc) should
not be kept with common fish (goldfish, comets, shubunkins etc.)
this is due to the slowness of the fancies when it comes to feeding
and due to the more commons nipping fins.

Hi. I've got a community tank with tropicals in it. I originally had goldfish but they all died except one and so i got tropicals.
I had 8 goldfish in my 40g. They're all between 2 1/2" and 4". moores, fantails and all.
I never have had problems with mixing breeds., I'm not saying you're wrong, not at all. I just gave 5 away to someone at work whos brother had a pond so they can grow and be goldfish.
I discovered that they grow surprisingly fast. all the comets I had were 1" long when I bought them. Probly 5 or 6 months later, they were 3 times that.
I would say that they do need a lot of room. My tank was deffinately over crowded. They swim around and a lot more vigourously than any tropical fish.
I've only got 4 goldfish now. 1 fantail, 1 moore, 2 comets (they're both large, so not a pest to my others). they're all 4" long.
They eat a lot. I have found tho that there's been a lot less disease and deaths while they've been in my tropical water, tho I know you're not supposed to do it.
The moral of my story is I listened to everyone telling me I had too many fish and got rid of the goldfish which were the biggest in the tank. They all seem a lot happier and a lot less cramped. :)

maybe this should go in Coldwater?

Although the goldfish is belongs to the family cyprindae they are coldwater fish and probably shouldn't be on the "Tropical Fish" section. Although, i have seen many people here keeping goldfish in tropical tanks...maybe they could read this and see what they're doing is wrong.

Doggfather said:
maybe this should go in Coldwater?

Although the goldfish is belongs to the family cyprindae they are coldwater fish and probably shouldn't be on the "Tropical Fish" section. Although, i have seen many people here keeping goldfish in tropical tanks...maybe they could read this and see what they're doing is wrong.
i've pm'd William and asked it to be moved

thanks for the support dogfather :D

Nice work Danio2004, it will save us repeating ourselves each time we get these questions in the Coldwater Forum. Although they are Cyprinids seeing as the majority of questions arise in the Coldwater Forum it would be best to have it there. :thumbs:

phew!

someone finnaly sed it. THANX DANNIO

You are so right. I'd go you one further and say 30 gallons per goldfish, but that's related to my own experience keeping them in an unheated tank here which is warm enough for tropicals, that speeds their metabolism and makes them even poopier. I ~love~ goldfish, i think they are really beautiful and would love to keep them again, but i've promised myself that i won't unless i can provide a ridiculously large tank with a couple canisters and HOBs filtering. They are sooooo messy.

Top quality stuff there!!

I have 12 fry goldfish in my 12gallon from the pond along with 22 rudd and the goldfish grew alot faster than the rudd, I released them quite a few months back now but when I cleaned the ponds out a month back they had much better colouring although some still looked like punks being half blacka nd half gold still! but there size had incresed so much.

And comets grow stupidly fast!! We bought some for the pond last year in march kind of time and by the summer we couldn't beleive how big they were, at the moment there doing well at aorund 4/5inches. We have 40 goldfish in the ponds altogether :D including a few fantails and some of my fry were fantails :)

My rudd in the tank have grown quite a bit with the goldfish in there way!!

Questions relating to this topic appear regularly and we are always having to repeat this information so I have decided to pin this topic so we can refer members to it when needs be. :)

ryan said:
Questions relating to this topic appear regularly and we are always having to repeat this information so I have decided to pin this topic so we can refer members to it when needs be. :)
You didn't pin it because it would help people! :eek:

You pinned it so you could show off your new Mod. powers :nod:

:)

lol.

becareful he is more powerful then us :crazy:

dwarf_dude said:
lol.

becareful he is more powerful then us :crazy:
How could you be scared of Ryan! he wouldn't furt a fly :lol:

*please don't ban me ryan :fun: *

Status
Not open for further replies.