Going_all_out's 2.5 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

goin_all_out

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
EDIT: specs updated NOV 27, 2008

Alright I figured for once i would start my own journal instead of reading everyone else's.

This is my first nano and before I started this little journal, its gone through a few little changes. Just basically some plant additions and swaps with my 20 gallon. Basic tank specs as it stands now are rather simple.

• Tank - 2.5 all glass tank (i think a Hagan)
  • Filter - none (for now)
  • Heat - none (for now)
  • Lighting - 2 13W "full spectrum" PC desk lamp
  • CO2 - none (glass diffuser on its way!)
  • Flora - Rotala Rotundifolia, Flame Moss, HC, Downoi (Pogostemon helferi), HC (don't rememeber the real name)
  • Fauna - Orange Bee shrimp, hoping for some CRS after i atleast get a filter
I only have all these "for nows" in there as I'm a poor college student.

I have a few pictures that will give a little foresight into where I'm at now. I'll try to update when I remember. After all I'm good with my WCs, but absent minded if its out of routine.

BEFORE
DSCN1782.jpg

THEN
DSCN1791.jpg

NOW
DSCN1843.jpg

CLOSE UP
DSCN1844.jpg

The red and oragne thread is ugly beyond all means but it was all i had lol. besides its only temporary. Let me know what you think. I'm open for plant and any other kinds of suggestions.

I'm somewhat color blind so the thread doesn't bother me. :D

Looks promising! I love the shape of the bogwood. Just a suggestion, but how about changing the background to plain black or blue (or gray or white for that matter) if possible, because I think the current backrgound will draw attention away from the actual aquascape. I think that tank's going to look good enough on its own.

lol oh ya i forgot i was going to do that good call! i have so many little things planned its hard to remember them all when i ahve the big things standing right out in front of me.

hi going all out. nice to see youve started a journal.

certainly a promising start.

eventualy you will have to change that thread. when the moss starts to grow the top bit you wont see but you'll still see the bottom bit.

the rotala rotundifolia will look great. and you can take cuttings from it later on.

if your planning on hc or glosso, you may want to consider co2.nothing fancy due to the size of the tank.

great start though.

if your planning on hc or glosso, you may want to consider co2.nothing fancy due to the size of the tank.

great start though.

Perhaps not. I'm getting HC to grow, albeit slowly, in my 2.5g, same setup as Going_all_out's. Right now, the biggest factor limiting growth is the catfish uprooting.

Looks good, Going_all_out, though I agree, the orange thread is out there. :lol:

lol thanks guys, means alot to me to have nice comments from such prestigious planties such as yourselves.

I'm going to give the moss a couple months to allow it to grow and attach itself. the CO2 is an addition that will be pretty soon actually. just need the funds to get a nice little diffuser off ebay. like i already said, i have so much in front of me i tend to forget little the little things. i think this journal will definitely help me keep track of everything better lol.

well been a while since i updated. I started a new job in the fishroom at my local Big Al's! this has left me with first dibs on alot of new stuff thats coming in not to mention the discounts. I have since added a couple new plants to the tank too. pretty soon this tank is getting some flourite dark once i buy some for my 20G im doing.

i have since added a Downoi with a couple shoots on it and i found the TINIEST clipping of HC floating in the big show tank at work. so i asked if i could have it lol. but enough with the blather, here are the picatures.

here is the clippings of HC, the first has only three stems and the second has two. like i said, tiny clippings.
DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1885.jpg

here is the bunches of downoi i added, it all came in one pot, i just gently seperated it and with what already had roots and stuck them in. should have a couple bushes growing in no time as i notice new growth all the time.
DSCN1886.jpg

DSCN1889.jpg

and finally the obligitory FTS
DSCN1890.jpg

ok so one more set of shots, i bought my girlfriend a betta yesterday. he is now in another spare 2.5G using the old gravel we always hed for her bettas. im just trying to convince her to let me plant it so that ill have another nano to work with! lol so far i think she is up for the idea.
DSCN1891.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

please excuse the poor quality pictures as its kind of a combination of my lack of skill and a crappy camera.

EDIT: I will update the basic specs in my first post as i change things.

ya, I'm going to see if they will let me clip some off and stick it in here. the lighting might be a little low to get it growing really well but the algae is kept down on the other side of things as well.

quick update, added a little more HC. they did a big pruning adventure in the show tank so i snagged the clippings. ill take some pictures once its grown in a bit.

Well I have an update! As I sit here after after a couple pints of Strongbow, I'll try not to lather on too much.

Appaerently its been a long time since I updated the journal. My betta, George has since passed on. There are now some Orange Bee shrimp in there. My plan is to have shrimp only in this tank. I may add some CRS after I add a filter to this little tank.

As a Flora update, i added a few stems of "red" myriophyllum.

I'v done a wee bit of an rescape aswell.

I'v added some Florite Black. tried to just add enough to be equal to the Geo System Black gravel I had in there already. This way I keep the Beneficial bacteria I have already and add it to the Florite. I have added a couple Pagota stones. I'm hoping this may draw the eye in a little more as the lines on the rock are FANTASTIC!

Basic hardware upgrades, added another 13W "full spectrum" PC desk lamp. Bringing my total output to 26W. This has worked so well that my plants are pearling a tiny bit.

But enough with the blather, on with the pictures!

How does one rinse thier Florite when they live in an apartment and have no hose? why with the shower of course!
DSCN1952.jpg

DSCN1951.jpg

MMMMMM thats good sturage, it'll get the setament right outta ya! lol
DSCN1954.jpg

And now the tank shots. Still a little cloudy, but what can hey, what can I say for no filter!
DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN1977.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1983.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

Thats all I could get. There are a couple floaters in the pictures thought, I noticed those after I snapped the pictures and my batteries were dead.

So what does everyone think?

The tank is looking great so far :)

The stone at the fron of the tank is to bold though, perhaps havin a nice carpet of hairgrass across the tank will break it up a bit.

thats what the HC is for, once i get taht to carpet it should blend in a little more i think, if not i'll switch the two as the other one isnt as bold in the lines maybe?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back