Going on vacation, recommendations?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you could, could you expand on the Hikari comment? I always read and heard good things about the brand and their offering in general.

Their fresh frozen foods are good, though frozen does not have the nutritional content of quality prepared dried foods like Bug Bites, Omega One and New Life Spectrum (there are some others, depending where one lives). It is the meal fillers in Hikari compared to whole fish in the others. Specifically with cories, you also want to keep protein low, as this too is problematic for the cory digestion.

That's not the only food I feed my fish (occasionally I throw blanched veggies for the cories and the ottos ) and about 2 or 3 times a week I feed dried tubifex on hoth tanks, everyone seems to love that.

Cories should not be fed veggies. First, they have difficulty digesting these leading to other issues, and no species eats plant or algae. Second, as they don't have teeth, they usually cannot really chew veggies. When you see cories grazing algae mats, it is not the algae they are eating but the microscopic insect/larvae/crustaceans etc they look for.

The #1 food for Corydoras is Fluval Bug Bites, so keep up with those, as their staple food. This is made from soldier fly larvae. Cory stomach contents in their habitats have ben found to contain primarily insects and insect larvae, followed by crustaceans. Worms are rarely eaten, which brings me to the tubifex...don't. First, use fresh frozen (bloodworms, black worms) or live (for those who have this) but not dried or freeze dried. But worms should be no more than once a week, as they are not nutritional or healthy due to the fat.

Cories should not be fed veggies. First, they have difficulty digesting these leading to other issues, and no species eats plant or algae. Second, as they don't have teeth, they usually cannot really chew veggies. When you see cories grazing algae mats, it is not the algae they are eating but the microscopic insect/larvae/crustaceans etc they look for.

Noted. I'm not sure how much if any of the veggies they eat the ottos clamp on them, but I do see the cories dig and hang around until I remove them.

Worms are rarely eaten, which brings me to the tubifex...don't. First, use fresh frozen (bloodworms, black worms) or live (for those who have this) but not dried or freeze dried.
The cories go for the tubifex with gusto. I'll swing by the store over the weekend and see what they offer in terms of fresh frozen vs dried or freeze dried.

Noted. I'm not sure how much if any of the veggies they eat the ottos clamp on them, but I do see the cories dig and hang around until I remove them.

The cories go for the tubifex with gusto. I'll swing by the store over the weekend and see what they offer in terms of fresh frozen vs dried or freeze dried.

Fresh frozen, the best is daphnia. Then shrimp. I don't know of frozen insects/larvae, but if this is now available, good.

The Med is a bit dicey on the weather front this time of year. You can’t go wrong weather wise with the Canaries. I’m going to the Isle Of Wight in a couple of weeks as I’m a bit of a 1950s enthusiast.

The Med is a bit dicey on the weather front this time of year. You can’t go wrong weather wise with the Canaries. I’m going to the Isle Of Wight in a couple of weeks as I’m a bit of a 1950s enthusiast.
I'd love to go there, I'd love to travel abroad again in general but have to take into account jab restrictions. Haven't traveled abroad since the clownshow began, and for the foreseeable future I can't go anywhere where they ask for shot "passports".

This was about recommendations for what to do with the critters while I was away 🙂 but thanks for the post, reminds me there's much more to see that I still have on my list.

Since I had this thread from my first trip, I thought I'd add my most recent experience. This time I left nearly for the entire month of august. Left on the 2nd, returned last Friday and I'm doing tanks cleanup today.
Tested both tanks before water change. Both had 0 ammonia, both had under 10 ppm for nitrates.

I've trimmed up the sword, it seems to have lost half its leaves while I was away.

Anchored the floater, it's grown huge and keeps moving around. The neons seem to like its shade and cover, so anchoring it gives the tank 2 areas with good coverage when the fish feel like hiding.
My assassin keeps doing its job, best snail ever.

This time I repeated the "fattening" about 2 weeks before leaving, then put the auto feeders on, dialed the portions, (twice a day on the 29g, once a day on the 10g for the gourami). Made a large water change the day before leaving, and doing another large water change today.

Everyone is happy.

Attachments

• 20230827_144648.jpg
    20230827_144648.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230827_144652.jpg
    20230827_144652.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230827_150851.jpg
    20230827_150851.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 8

Most reactions