Goby Substrate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Spen2cer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! I have finally scaped the tank, and I'm liking it so far. I'm planning on having a goby tank, with neons, clown gobies, and firefish. I am looking for a substrate that is easy to work with, as well as benefit the fish. Thanks!

Play sand works great, is inert and is cheap. I have it in two tanks now and find it quick to clean. If you do buy it, just make sure you rinse it twice as much as you'd think you need to.

Don't use play sand - it does nothing to help buffer pH, which is important for a marine tank. Use aragonite-based sand. Live sand is a good option although you can also get dry aragonite sand for cheaper and it will colonize over time.

Colin: just like taking rock from a beach or shallows, collecting sand from beaches is quite illegal in many places and also can contain a lot of pollutants you don't want in your tank. It is a completely terrible idea in most places and a extremely irresponsible recommendation to make without noting those two issues.

Don't use play sand - it does nothing to help buffer pH, which is important for a marine tank. Use aragonite-based sand. Live sand is a good option although you can also get dry aragonite sand for cheaper and it will colonize over time.

Colin: just like taking rock from a beach or shallows, collecting sand from beaches is quite illegal in many places and also can contain a lot of pollutants you don't want in your tank. It is a completely terrible idea in most places and a extremely irresponsible recommendation to make without noting those two issues.
Thank you! You are super helpful for questions, while other's are quite confusing. I'm probably getting dry aragonite, so that's awesome. Thanks for answering all of my questions!

Don't use play sand - it does nothing to help buffer pH, which is important for a marine tank.

Oops, thought it was freshwater gobies and neons, obviously didn't read all the words!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back