Gobies And Cories Compatible?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering if anyone has experience keeping gobies and Cories together? My concern is that the gobies I want to keep (blue neon goby- stiphodon atropurpureous) like to be kept in small groups of one male and maybe one or two females, but the cories like to be kept in groups of at least 6 (or so I've read), so will the larger group of cories out-compete the tiny gobies?

I had a couple neon blue stiphodon gobies with a group of about 12 pygmy cories, they didn't bother each other in the least. However gobies like harder cooler water than the cories. I've had better luck with rainbow stiphodon gobies though, they're a bit more hardy. Hope this helps! The Gobies for the most part eat algae, but are good eaters either way. They shouldn't bother each other assuming you have the space for them.

Hi Weiro! Thanks for responding. I haven't been able to find as much info on freshwater gobies as I would like, so hearing first-hand experience is great. Do you think the gobies would be afraid of yo-yo or kuhli loaches? I'm also considering them instead of the cories because of their snail eating prowess, but I'm concerned about the gobies being intimidated by them.

I've had them with both yo-yo and kukli loaches. and they don't bother each other in the least. Kuhli loaches don't eat snails from my experience however. I've given up trying to get rid of my pond snails with fish. get a couple assassin snails and a dwarf crayfish. I've also seen my 3 Scarlet badis males go after the snails, not sure if they ever succeed, they do eat the pond snail eggs for sure though! Hope this helps! you can message me if you ever have any questions about gobies, I've done countless hours of research on them. Good luck!

That's awesome, thank you! I do have another question about gobies but it doesn't really fit the title of this thread. I'll ask it here anyway, just in case anyone else might benefit from hearing your answer.
Are they particularly susceptible to stress? I ask because I bought 2 females and 1 male and put them in my 10 gallon tank. Sadly, the male died within hours. The 2 females are still doing well. My plan was to move them to my 55 gallon once it is fully cycled, but because the male died so quickly, I am afraid that maybe gobies are easily stressed and I therefore shouldn't move the females again. The lfs around here don't always have gobies as a regular thing, so I thought I was being smart by getting them when I could, but if I had known the poor little male wouldn't survive, I obviously wouldn't have stressed him. What are your thoughts? Should I not attempt to move the females or do you think they might be okay? They have been in the 10 gallon a few weeks now, I guess. They seem happy and healthy but I would love to give them more space. They are small, but I really think they would like more territory. -- Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back