Gnathonemus petersii

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrV

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have thought to buy one gnathonemus petersii into my 450 liters tank. Im not sure what corydoras think about it :)

This is my knowledge of the fish:

Size: 35cm (13")
pH: 6-7.5
temperature: 22-28 celsius
hardness: soft-middle hard
sex: no difference

Need darker aquarium, harmless to other, doesn't tolerate member of own species (keep in lonely or in great school in huge aquarium), really shy fish and mostly swimming at nights. Swimming on the bottom between rocks/wood/plants etc..

Eat using its "trunk" like digging sand and finding worms and other living food. Thats why there should be sand bottom. Its sense of sight is poor and you have to remember it when feeding fish that other don't eat all food.

It produces electricial-impulses to find food and swim. Thus i have heard that corydoras don' like g. pettersii, because they are disturbed by those impulses. Well, i haven't red any serious articles about this. Have you?

And if you have any other information about g. petersii, please tell it :)

gnathonemus petersii - also known as the elephant nose is indeed a curious species.

mrV, you are correct in all your facts listed. The only one I can add to it is these fish demand very clean water. Ammonia, nitrites =0 very, very low nitrates.

IME they will except standard aquarium foods including flake, but occasional feedings of brine shrimp or blood worms are taken with gusto.

HTH

Yep, low nitrate (NO3-) level... It has tends to produce more impulses when water goes bad and it becomes restless. (It is used in German to watch water quality.)

Im really interested in to know, if it's true about corydoras...

I don't know yet, do i buy one, because im afraid that it doesn't find enough food from bottom, because i already have 4 ancistrus sp. cf. temminckii, 6 crossocheilus siamensis and 6 corydoras aeneus and 5 pangio kuhlii. Well the bottom is "large" (150*60cm). I know it can eat food on/in water too, not only bottom, but still...

I want to be quite sure before buying any...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back