Gluttonous Severum!

AeonMapa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have a single 3" long red severum in my community tank with rams and tetras and a few other fish. He's great, never bullies anyone, chills out the whole day and loves to say hello when I come home. There is however one problem. This guys just loves loves loves to eat. It doesn't help that he spots me coming from a mile away and is always ready to grab some food. The problem is, by the time I get enough food past him to feed the other fish he's eaten so much that his belly gets quite swollen. I've tried feeding at different ends of the tank (he eats everything on his side and rushes quickly to the other side), and the only effective way I can feed the other fish without him eating too much is by fending him off with a net until some of the other fish have had their fill. Will this gluttonous existence eventually lead to an early demise? Or should I just let him eat as much as he wants while the other fish get their food?

I don't overfeed and all the food is usually gone before anything hits the sand bottom.

Here's a pic of the greedy bastard

Attachments

• WIN_20140328_144701 (2).JPG
    WIN_20140328_144701 (2).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 209
Check his anus to see if it's enlarged or red and inflamed.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet?

Hi anus is fine and when he goes to the toiled it is a marbled red(tetra bits) and green (amazon swords :( and lettuce) haha!

That's fine. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't over eating to internal parasites.
Try and not let him eat to much as it bad for them it can lead to bloating.

haha yup I figured a good solution is to crumble to the food into smaller pieces when feeding the smaller fish. This will delay his getting full since he has to grab a lot more pellets and hopefully the others will eat their fill by then

LOL.
I kept fancy goldfish and they loved there food too. But over feeding can do more 
harm than good.

Yeah I know :p it would be easy to regulate if he was by himself but I need to get food through to the others and he's always right there literally snatching it right from my hand haha. I'll keep a close eye on him though :)

I know there always one that hogs the food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back