'glowlight' zebra danios

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

As far as I know they are only licensed to be sold in the usa.
Personnally I think they are an abomination and shold not be supported by buying them.

"Glofish(tm)" are illegal in all of canada but could easily be sold under the radar.

Glolight Danios are a naturally occuring fish and can be sold anywere more common danios can. I However dont really think this is the forum for glofish because there care conditions are exactly those of Danio Riero.

Opcn said:
"Glofish(tm)" are illegal in all of canada but could easily be sold under the radar.
Glofish(tm) are exactly a Hybrid as they are a direct result of jioning two species, In this case jellyfish and Danio rerio. Where else are you supposed to talk about these horrid things?

I know years ago when I used to live in Ont, they were there.
But I know here in Alberta I have never seen them, and would never buy them.
I was almost sick to my stomach when I found out that the Lemon tetras were dyed. :angry:

I belive they are cool, even if they are gen. altered. If they proceed to find a way to make them glow when pollunts are in the water, tropical 3rd world countries in asia, South America, and Africa can have cheap and efficinct ways to know if water is polluted there. As for keeping them, I find it sorta wierd but it is awesome, you have to admit. You can have a small, hardy fish that GLOWS just like deep sea fish and anenomes. If they were just red i still think its awesome, I belive it draws the public away from fish being caught out of the wild where they may become extint and into farm raised fish.

Well I suppose thats one way of looking at it Paul. I never thought of it that way at all. I suppose you are orrect about that.

EarthGirl I guarauntee that they were nto available a few years back they were only released in the west on Dec 15th (I think thats when it was)

I thought they only gave danios certain genes from jellyfish :dunno: I wouldn't call that an "abomination", maybe just genetically enhanced :p

I think that someone needs to read the rules of this forum a little bit more closely. Paul no matter what your feelings are on these fish to flame them here is not tolerated. once this forum is up and running to its full potential and there are several pinned articles where we can discribe as much as possible the gentic make up of these fish I feel that it is not up to you or I to say these fish are horrible but tha in the end it is up to the indivdual fish keeper that it is the fish that they want.

The-Wolf said:
Glofish(tm) are exactly a Hybrid as they are a direct result of jioning two species, In this case jellyfish and Danio rerio.
Glofish are not a joining of two species. I'm 99.9% sure that a Danio and a Jellyfish could not crossbreed - they're too different. The Glofish are "just" Danios with the "glowing" gene inserted (wherever it is that it needs to go - I forget the details).

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

actually lizard I do remember reading an article about them wihen they first started messing around with glofish and the glowing gene did indeed come from a jellyfish. how they did it I have no clue as I am not a famous gentisist

lizard said:
The-Wolf said:
Glofish(tm) are exactly a Hybrid as they are a direct result of joining two species, In this case jellyfish and Danio rerio.
Glofish are not a joining of two species. I'm 99.9% sure that a Danio and a Jellyfish could not crossbreed - they're too different. The Glofish are "just" Danios with the "glowing" gene inserted (wherever it is that it needs to go - I forget the details).

Pamela
:lol: I'm 100 percent sure they can't breed :p A saltwater invertebrate to a freshwater fish :p

as am I but I never said that they bred them, they never bred dolly the sheeps mom either. I have a pretty strong feeling that they injected the genitic information in to these fish and kept it going through line breeding them.

juanveldez said:
actually lizard I do remember reading an article about them wihen they first started messing around with glofish and the glowing gene did indeed come from a jellyfish. how they did it I have no clue as I am not a famous gentisist
Yep, the glowing gene did come from a jellyfish. However, all of the jellyfish's genome was not inserted into the Danios - only the part responsible for the glowing was. The Danio is still a Danio, it just has an additional gene added to it.

Pamela

Opcn said:
EarthGirl I guarauntee that they were nto available a few years back they were only released in the west on Dec 15th (I think thats when it was)
Sorry, must have been thinking of another kinda of danio :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back