Glowlight Danio changed colour??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EndlerB

Reaction score
These glowlight danio are the last two remaining from a shoal of 10 I bought 2.5-3yrs ago. They’ve always been quite plainly coloured, mostly silvery with very pale orange and some pale black lines.

Moved them into a larger, more densely planted tank about 2m ago and they’ve completely changed, one is now a really bright orange with pink under eye and the other is a purple/black. Anyone keep them and seen this before? I’ve definitely never seen a purple one. They don’t seem ill, seem like they’re loving the new tank, very active but as they’re getting on a bit maybe it’s an age thing? The darker one seems so much darker today than the last few days.

Sorry photo is rubbish, they’re incredibly fast swimmers!!

Attachments

• 1F057892-54A5-4E97-A650-533E098C6EF1.jpeg
    1F057892-54A5-4E97-A650-533E098C6EF1.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,287
Last edited:
I don't know anything about glo fish of any kind except to say that this is a man made phenomenon to attract buyers. So having said this and it is not natural in fish, it can always manifest itself in a fish's later life as something entirely different in color variations. That would be my guess.

My fish are glowlight danio, they’re related to the zebra danio. They’re not glofish. I had to google glofish as never heard of them, I don’t think they exist in the UK (genetically modified animals are not popular here).

Glowlight danios are Celestichthys choprae, not GM zebra danios.

I'm afraid I don't know why they've changed colour, unless they are just 'happier' in their current tank.

GM organisms are strictly controlled in the UK
Thank you, the photos on the link with more silvery colours are what they used to look like. I’m guessing they’re just very happy, they used to hide a lot in the old tank, very active in this new one, lots of planting/floating plants/wood/caves.

These glowlight danio are the last two remaining from a shoal of 10 I bought 2.5-3yrs ago. They’ve always been quite plainly coloured, mostly silvery with very pale orange and some pale black lines.

Moved them into a larger, more densely planted tank about 2m ago and they’ve completely changed, one is now a really bright orange with pink under eye and the other is a purple/black. Anyone keep them and seen this before? I’ve definitely never seen a purple one. They don’t seem ill, seem like they’re loving the new tank, very active but as they’re getting on a bit maybe it’s an age thing? The darker one seems so much darker today than the last few days.

Sorry photo is rubbish, they’re incredibly fast swimmers!!
I have 10 Celestichthys Choprae and in the past day 1 of mine has turned a very deep purple. The only change is I added guppy grass and amazon frogbit, so I'm guessing they really like planted tanks

Most reactions

trending

Back