Glow fish tetra has seriously large stomach

Is this curable?

• Total voters

Kmp

Reaction score
C51583E9-DAD1-4CA2-8845-D9E5E921E06C.jpeg
4AB2B1B8-AF39-4BF7-BC6A-326ACA6CFFC1.jpeg
Hi all, new here. This glow tetra weā€™ve had for about 6 months has had this large stomach for a few months now and never shows signs of dropping eggs if she is a female. Is this bloat? Or does she just have a ton of eggs in her abdomen that she hasnā€™t dropped yet. What can I do to fix this. Fish seems fine and is still eating, swimming around, schooling with the other fish. Havenā€™t seen her drop stools but that doesnā€™t mean she does or doesnā€™t. Worried about her and if it is bloat, it could spread to the other fish. Please if anyone has any answers Iā€™d greatly appreciate it. Ps donā€™t know why the pics are sideways.0

OP here! Wanted to add that one side looks more swollen than the other. Canā€™t really tell if sheā€™s pineconing or not.

I don't know much about tetras but you could trying feeding peas because it will help if it is constipation.:)

It could be a very severe case of worms so it's worth trying a de-worming medication like Levamisole. If I were to take a wild guess though I would say a tumour.

I agree, constipation is normally an all round swelling not a lump in one place like this.

Do any other fish show any symptoms like this? With any of the fish not just this one, are there red bristles sticking out of the anus on the rare occasion the fish is motionless? Red bristles are camallanus worms, which go back inside the fish when it is swimming.

Given the apparent shape of the lump, which is always hard to see accurately in photos, I would say the most likely cause is a tumour, and I'm afraid there is no cure for that. If/when the fish is obviously suffering, that is the time to euthanise it, I'm afraid. If it comes to this point, ask about the best way to do it, as some of the methods you'll read about are cruel.

Those Glow Fish are a genetic monstrosity that should never have happened. I fart in the general direction of those who breed and sell them. What you are experiencing is what happens when man meddles in things he shouldn't. I don't mean to minimize your predicament or belittle your pets but don't expect a happy outcome.

Most reactions

trending

Back