Glossostigma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wonderboy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have never worked with glossostigma, and I was wondering if the people who have successfully could give me some pointers on how to plant, prune, trim, care, etc etc... This would help me greatly. Thankyou.

~ Wonderboy!

"Glossostigma elatinoides is much in demand in Japanese-inspired aquariums. It is one of the smallest aquarium plants, and thus a good foreground plant. A difficult plant demanding a lot of light. Grows upwards if light is poor. Make sure larger plants do not overshadow it. When planting in the aquarium small clumps (approx. 1/8 pot) should be placed at intervals of a few centimetres to help the plants grow together more quickly. CO2 addition and soft water promote growth significantly"

This is from Tropicas website, not much I can add, I think it needs a good plant substrate, it grew well and fast, got tall around the edges were it was shaded, but that looked quite nice too. It can get too crowded so I used to pull some of it out, as it overshadows itself, you can plant smaller clumps than Tropica says if you have the patience either way it will fill out fast if its happy.

Glosso is demanding in terms of light, CO2 and other nutrients.

After buying it seperate it into seperate plantlets, and plant like this.

If you have appropriate growing conditions, then a carpet will form in a few weeks. If light is too low then the plant will grow up instead of across.

Keep it trimmed with sharp scissors to acheive the required thickness of carpet, typically an inch or so. Once establsihed it is quite a brute so regular maint is necessary.

When I recieved my glossostigma, it had no roots. I found it much easier to plant by letting stay bunched and grow roots and then planting.

since the plant is so small, how do you plant it if you have an inch thick gravel on top of the substrate..?

Most reactions

trending

Back