FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mylittleglofish

Reaction score
My daughter recently purchased 5 glofish and a small algea eater from a fish store. We had gotten the algea eater on accident, but my daughter loved it because.itwas different. However, today our little algea eater died, and my daughter was devastated. I'm going to get her another one tomorrow, but are they compatible? The other fish are fine, and I really don't know why he could have died. Can anyone tell me what it could be so that we don't have this problem again? Thank you :)

tank size?
Water parameters?
did you cycle?
awnser these and will find out.

Exactly what NC asked, and if you don't know what cycling is, there is an article at the top of the page 'Cycling a Tank' that will explain, certainly worth a read!
Another thing, what kind of algae eater is it that you got? If you don't know maybe you could find a picture online that resembles it, or even better if you have a picture from when you had it.

Agree with all the above.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware but GloFish are genetically engineered fish, they're unnatural.
I'm not sure you knew that already or not but just wanted to make you aware :)

The question that no one else has asked that's very important here is: which glofish is it?  (As pointed out above, these are genetically engineered, or more exactly, were - the ones for sale are 'born' just as naturally as any other fish it was their ancestors that were actually genetically engineered.)

Glofish come in one of three varieties (colors not mattering):  danios, barbs or tetras.  The danios are actually zebra danios.  The barbs are tiger barbs.  The tetra are skirt tetras.  So, when it comes to keeping them and their compatibility, just treat them like the fish described above.

Knowing the tank dimensions and whether or not its been cycled would be helpful.  Also, if the algae eater in question was an "oto" (otocinclus) they are not good additions unless the tank has been fully cycled, and that algae is currently present.  They also do best in shoals.

my guess was a chinese or simense algae eater but only the OP could tell.

I feel like an idiot for not asking about that Eagles :p Definitely good to keep in mind for the future, and ofcourse hopefully the op can answer that and the other questions so we can help them.

What was the algae eater, could you post a pic?
The reason I'm asking is that you've said it was "different", and it could be a Chinese Algae Eater (aka sucking loach, golden sucker, golden algae eater) or a Siamese Algae Eater like NC said. I aquired mine under the same circumstances, so I try to prevent it from happening to others.
CAE's will get agressive as they get older, grow to 12", and will kill most other fish. It doesn't eat the algae, it's looking for small organisms in it, and it will stop this behavior once it starts growing.
Pic: (also comes in a golden morph which ranges from a very light flax to a deep orange)

Siamese Algae Eaters are peaceful, if they are not False SAE's, and grow to 6".
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/111583-siamese-algae-eater/

ím curious as to what sort of algae eater it was as well...

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a glofish is? 
blush.png
 I would also ask basically what's already been asked, how long the tanks been set up, when the fish were added and the water stats.

Ny82 said:
blush.png
 I would also ask basically what's already been asked, how long the tanks been set up, when the fish were added and the water stats.

Yes, I think you probably are. :D Glofish(R) are either zebra danios, tiger barbs or black skirt tetras that have been genetically modified with colour genes from a jellyfish. They were originally danios designed to monitor pollution in waterways around huclear power stations, IIRC. Then the Glofish(RO Corporation came along, thought ooh, we could sell these to people, and started marketing them. They then did the same thing to the barbs and tetras. As GMOs, they are banned in the UK. I believe the state of California also bans them.

Here is a pic of the golden CAE if you may have:

(Thankfully the fish store took mine back) like previously stated, they feed from algae whilst young, then as they mature their diet changes to protein and they will suck off the slime coats of your fish and kill them :(

image-2_zpsce83e647.jpg

the_lock_man said:

blush.png

Yes, I think you probably are.
biggrin.png
Glofish(R) are either zebra danios, tiger barbs or black skirt tetras that have been genetically modified with colour genes from a jellyfish. They were originally danios designed to monitor pollution in waterways around huclear power stations, IIRC. Then the Glofish(RO Corporation came along, thought ooh, we could sell these to people, and started marketing them. They then did the same thing to the barbs and tetras. As GMOs, they are banned in the UK. I believe the state of California also bans them.

That's so stupid. That's probably why I have never heard of them, I am glad we have some sense here :p 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back