Glofish Yes / No

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They are living creatures now, just like anything else we put in the tank. If you consider they have had their genetics altered to have bright colors doesn't seem any worse than breeding for specific features such as bright large fins, or ballon shapes, etc (flowerhorn). Overall, most of the fish we breed for specific traits end up being weaker or less fit for survival in some way, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing because if they get into the environment they are less likely to breed.

Not really my interest, though I do like bright colors. If my grandson showed interest I would get them just because I can then teach him about raising an caring for living things.

I have 7 glowfish tetras and a gloshark. Had My take setup for a little over 40 days and they were used for fish in Cycling and haven't even been bothered by the process. Though I did make sure to keep all levels low.

Attachments

• 20211208_153253.jpg
    20211208_153253.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 22
The fry would be of color. Its in their dna.
what happens if a green one breeds with a pink one or something like that?
And to think they now sell Glofish Bettas. Bettas are beautiful in their natural colorings. It's a sin..I tell ya.
Betta Splendens normally even if bred by humans is better looking than a glowfish betta. they dont look as good, (they look unnatural to me)

I personally don't like them but I'm a bit conflicted on how I feel about the whole genetically engineered pets.

On the one hand I feel we should be leaving well alone. However we have been messing with pet genetics for centuries with selective breeding and this isn't really much different. In fact it could be a good thing, being able to alter looks without causing health complications is better then what we see with a lot of selective breeding.

Also the possibility to selectively engineer current species to make them more resilient would be pretty amazing. Hardwater discus with a stronger immune system? Yes please.

There are pros and cons to wild caught fish and that is a whole other debate but being able to adapt some species that are only wild caught and make them easier to breed would (arguably) help keep wild species safer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back