Glo Frogs

keithp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yup, first glo fish, now glo frogs. Now they are selling ACF dyed in neon colors like glo fish. You can read more on them here- http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-other-amphibians/f54-anura-frogs-toads/f79-pipidae-african-clawed-toads-surinam-toads-aquatic-frogs/64170-color-injected-clawed-frogs.html#post206058

Frog,%20311.jpg

Sick is all I have to say. I can deal with Glo-fish cause the fish aren't harmed but, I feel dying ACFs is just cruel. I feel dying any animal is cruel. I understand the process of making Glo-fish. I just can't deal with dyed fish. ACFs that are dyed show little color any way.
Edit: Wait, you got that pic from the Aqualand PetsPlus site. That frog in the picture is dyed.

My LFS sells them, I live in the U.S. (New York), and yes they are dyed like glo fish the fish store gets them from the same supplier they get glo fish.

Glofish aren't dyed, they're genetically modified, which is why I want to know whether these have the gene that codes for the glowing red colour, or whether they have been tattooed.

I would have to ask (if they would even be honest and tell me), but IMO any genetic modification like this is wrong. Now people will be putting them under UV light to see them glow, and these frogs like to hide and being albino UV light will hurt their eyes a lot!

I'd be more worried about the skin, I can't see people putting them under UV light to be honest, Genetical modification is okay if it is used for the right purposes, if there is any reasoning behind these frogs then I may see them as okay, I'll do some research and report back.

They're genetically modified as an embryo just like glofish, its quite humane really, I just don't see the point in it.

I'd be more worried about the skin, I can't see people putting them under UV light to be honest, Genetical modification is okay if it is used for the right purposes, if there is any reasoning behind these frogs then I may see them as okay, I'll do some research and report back.

They are under black light in my LFS so they "glow", so are the fish. And they have no place to hide just open water and gravel so they cant escape the light.

You can read more about them here, they produce them 2 ways, gentically (like you said), and by injection, mine by me are done by injection. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f53-other-amphibians/f54-anura-frogs-toads/f79-pipidae-african-clawed-toads-surinam-toads-aquatic-frogs/64170-color-injected-clawed-frogs.html#post206058

my friend has one of these... just like the one in the pic. but yes they are made like glo-fish.

GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated.

maybe the frogs were made for the same reason?

uv doesnt hurt their eyes...they live under the sun just like everyother animal (with few exceptions). frogs like to hide. has nothing to do with the blacklight (or any other light.
and GM doesnt affect them in any way.
cheers

If they're just GM, I don't see what the issue is unless the modified genes give them a higher likelihood of illness or something. :huh:

If they're just GM, I don't see what the issue is unless the modified genes give them a higher likelihood of illness or something. :huh:
no, the introduced genes would have no effect on health. the genes simply "code" for production of different protein to make the skin colored like that.
cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back