GLO fish…

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
There is a thread running about GLO fish being aggressive and I don’t want to hijack that, but can I just check on the images that have been posted..?

The colours are amazing - but they don’t strike me as being very ‘natural’. Do you need special lights to see these colours, or have they been ‘genetically modified’…?

All Glo fish have been altered, you wont find anything like them in the wild.

They've been altered so they give you that striking colour to your tank. Honestly I stay away from purchasing the like, I only have my betta because of my partner picked him, but I wont start a whole debate herelol.

edit

Just had a little search on the ol' google, they take aspects of anemone's and implant them into the glofish to give them their vibrant colours.

I knew that some salt water fish have amazing colours, but it didn’t seem quite right for freshwater.

I’ll do some Googling….

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, I know I was part of the exact same conversation quite a while back and honestly I can't remember much of what was said. All I remember is hearing "altered" and I went into full activist mode for "Anti-Glo". I'm softer than most when it comes to any form of animal though lol, my partners mum calls me insane for mentioning Shoto as a family member lol

Overhere, glo fish are allowed to be sold at an lfs but at a vivaristic event they're prohibited. That goes for all altered fish overhere.

We can't (correction, shouldn't be able to) buy glofish in the UK or EU as all gm organisms are banned unless they've been given 'permission' usually for research purposes. Glofish were first developed for use in investigating polluted waters then someone got the idea that people would want to keep them so they went on sale, and more species were 'gloified'. Originally it was zebra danios, now there are glo white widow (aka white skirt) tetras, rainbow sharks, tiger barbs, bettas and probably more that I've not heard of yet.

This isn't the same as dying or tattooing fish.

We can't (correction, shouldn't be able to) buy glofish in the UK or EU as all gm organisms are banned unless they've been given 'permission' usually for research purposes. Glofish were first developed for use in investigating polluted waters then someone got the idea that people would want to keep them so they went on sale, and more species were 'gloified'. Originally it was zebra danios, now there are glo white widow (aka white skirt) tetras, rainbow sharks, tiger barbs, bettas and probably more that I've not heard of yet.

ALL GMOs are banned in the UK?

You guys don't have seedless grapes, watermelon, or corn? ;)

Sorry, dying or tattooing fish…? Really..?🤔

I thought the GM bit was a bit much really….stunning though they look, I won’t be support these practices.

I'll let the government explain the legislation :)

Sorry, dying or tattooing fish…? Really..?🤔
Yes indeed. The practice it outlawed in the UK, but last time I read up on it fish dyed or tattooed elsewhere could still be imported.

The practice is cruel and many fish die during the process :(

I'll let the government explain the legislation :)

Everything I read or hear from ANY government, I take with a block of salt...lol

Well if they tell you what the law is, you can be certain that's what it is - they make they laws ;) it's advice you have to take with a block of salt :lol:

There is a thread running about GLO fish being aggressive and I don’t want to hijack that, but can I just check on the images that have been posted..?

The colours are amazing - but they don’t strike me as being very ‘natural’. Do you need special lights to see these colours, or have they been ‘genetically modified’…?
Not natural at all. I dislike them. Even more, the “Globettas”. The globettas always look horrible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back