Glo Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

goodgollyblackmolly

Reaction score
Does anyone have them, If so what are they like to keep, as in are the easy to look after, are they ok with other fish, Also are they safe, how did they get them those colors :huh:

glofish are actually genetically modified zebra danios. many members around here go against it, but i have no grudge against them. they're very hardy, and nice fish. you may want a group of 6, though

They're are as equally hardy as the normal coloured zebra danio.

There are two kinds of artifially coloured fish that trun up in LFSs; the dyed fish and the glofish.

The dyed fish can be any species, but as the dye shows up better on a pale background, white, and see-through fish are the ones most often seen dyed. These include; kissing gouramis, albino white skirt tetras, albino corydoras,the Indian glasfish (Chanda ranga, not the glass catfish) and blood red parrots. The dye is actually injected under the skin of the fish, like a tattoo. This is stressful and probably painful to the fish and many die early. Nearly everyone is against it. It is not illegal to sell dyed fish in the UK (unfortunately, IMHO)
Signs to be suspicious of are ; Very bright, neon colours (apart from the neon tetra blue/green) especially pink, orange and grassy green; any markings that look like hearts, or flowers (if it looks like it was drawn on it probably was); fish that don't 'match' in where and what shape their markings are; small shoalers are naturally identical in colour in the wild, for example; be suspicious if the fish have very differently shaped markings from each other.

Glofish are only a few species (so far); these are; the zebra danio, the convict cichlid and the angelfish, as far as I am aware. These fish are genetically modified so their DNA contains a sequence from a jellyfish the makes the fish produce bioluminescense. This is all done by genetic manipulation before the fish is even conceived. Apart from that the fish are bred and raised exactly as the normal zebra danio. GM fish are illegal to buy in the UK, but not in the US; I don't know about the rest of the world. Opinion is split as th whether GM fish are acceptable or not. Some people love them, some people loathe them and others say, "they're ok, but not for me"

You have to make up your own mind on where you stand on the issues.

but basically glofish go under no stress, and are essentially exactly the same as zebra danios but with cooler colors. they were originally made for water testing. their colors made them easily seen. it is harmless to keep them.

I think the issue is with ethics of modern techniques of GM anything and its proliferation.

I have a group of them and think they were/are a good addition to my tank. They don't group together like I expected, though they school tightly when I "threaten" them by rearranging the decor. They play and chase each other constantly and I believe this keeps them from terrorizing my other fish, lol.

Now my heart sink`s , if this is true it`s pure senselessness , with all the beautiful natural fish in the world`s river`s lake`s and sea`s what on earth are we doing as a hobby actively condoning and promoting the breeding selling and buying of unnatural specie`s for our own gratification of one upmanship in order to show off to our freind`s and visitor`s , it`s so so sad :no: ( no different to buying a dog with 2 head`s cause it`s cool :sick: )
I would personally have no problem registering a written complaint to the management of any LFS that stocked them :crazy:
Do we know what effect they would have on the enviroment if they found their way into the local water system`s ( don`t say they would die they are GM`d so we don`t know their ultimate tollerance`s :blink: ) what would be the effect on other`s that ate them ?? :sad:
We as a specie`s are not yet responsible enough to continue supporting these needless experiment`s
Each to their own but a definite NO :shout: from me :sad:

Now my heart sink`s , if this is true it`s pure senselessness , with all the beautiful natural fish in the world`s river`s lake`s and sea`s what on earth are we doing as a hobby actively condoning and promoting the breeding selling and buying of unnatural specie`s for our own gratification of one upmanship in order to show off to our freind`s and visitor`s , it`s so so sad :no: ( no different to buying a dog with 2 head`s cause it`s cool :sick: )
I would personally have no problem registering a written complaint to the management of any LFS that stocked them :crazy:
Do we know what effect they would have on the enviroment if they found their way into the local water system`s ( don`t say they would die they are GM`d so we don`t know their ultimate tollerance`s :blink: ) what would be the effect on other`s that ate them ?? :sad:
We as a specie`s are not yet responsible enough to continue supporting these needless experiment`s
Each to their own but a definite NO :shout: from me :sad:
What does it matter whether its found in nature or not? Keeping a regular zebra danio or a glofish is the same thing besides the colors. Its not like zebra danios are a rare species. A fish eating a glofish would be the exact same thing of that same fish ate a zebra danio. They have the exact same tolerance as a zebra danio because only genes dealing with color are added. Putting a glofish in a non native environment is just as bad as putting a zebra danio in a non native environment.
I didn't understand why people hated zebra danios before. Now I know its just ignorance.

to put it bluntly, it seemed that the genetic mutation makes them stupid, i had them in my community tank in the living room (cant show off my snakehead) and they would always hit the wall or swim in circles, and do the stupidest things ever. My good friend had some regular zebras, and they acted fine, personaly, i dont like 'em

Most LFS stock them, unless they're illegal where you live (I know they are in California and the UK, for instance).

Its not just the fish that glow now, its also cats,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14882008

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back