FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What is happening

• Mates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Glofish regardless of how they came about are not supported by the hobby. They are, I believe, illegal in the UK and EU.

As others have noted, the "aggression" is due to there being too few of the species. However, the problem now is that adding more may not solve this. It takes some understanding of fish physiology, but once a fish reacts through increased aggression brought on by environmental factors that are not what the fish is programmed in its DNA to "expect," it is rarely reversible.

The best solution would be to return the Glofish to the store, or elsewhere.

I have had the glofish skirt tetras in the past as well as regular black and also white skirt tetras and the non-altered ones grew larger and outlived the glofish so to me that proves unalltered skirt tetras are healthier. I have 4 black skirt tetras now and they are very healthy and active.

I guess I am just old fashion and prefer fish in their natural state. A school of neon or glow light tetras seems so much more beautiful to me than these glofish. A lot of people are buying them here in the USA. Petco expanded its stock of them. I wish they would have tried to improve the health of fish or make them stronger to handle different conditions like water hardness instead.:(

Last edited:
I hear they are already producing betta glofish....that is truly a travesty as bettas are already pretty colorful in their natural state.

Last edited:
I understand your not trying to be rude, I put my problems out there looking for a solution, not looking to get mad at genuine help. The goldfish and a pleco are being rehomed literally as I'm typing this. The corries are about 1/4th his size and they are super healthy and happy fish I'm mostly just concerned about the glofish
While we are here to address the problem at hand, it wouldn't be right for us to ignore other issues as well. Glad your pleco and Goldie are being rehomed. I would suggest for your tetras to add some black or white ones to increase your school, partly because it is cheaper and also because in my opinion we shouldn't be supporting GloFish and their practices. Good luck :)

Multiple problems here:
Common Gold fish need at least 75 gallons a fish
glofish tetras need a school of at least 6
assuming that your albino Plecos are BN(most common for albinos)
you shouldonly keep one in a tank
a BN Pleco needs at least 29 gallons
You also should rehome your corries since they need groups of 6+ and your tank is not big enough to accommodate that.
i don’t mean to be rude just trying to help. If you get 3 more glo tetras the aggression will go down
Agree with all of this except the plec. I often keep a pair. also needs a note on temperature issues

Ok sorry I disappeared Ive been moving so I surrendered my corries and got 4 more glofish I more long fin, 2 short fin, and a tiger one. There's almost no aggression at all and I can tell it's way more dispersed and looks like playing now so that's super good. Also I went back to the store I got my pleco from and they told me that the type I got should only get like 5 inches and they take super long to grow . Right now hes only like half an inch that's why I had two but when he gets bigger I'll get him his own tank because I wanted to start a shrimp/ pleco/snail tank in the future. I'm at work but when I get home I'll post pictures of how it looks now.

Ok sorry I disappeared Ive been moving so I surrendered my corries and got 4 more glofish I more long fin, 2 short fin, and a tiger one. There's almost no aggression at all and I can tell it's way more dispersed and looks like playing now so that's super good. Also I went back to the store I got my pleco from and they told me that the type I got should only get like 5 inches and they take super long to grow . Right now hes only like half an inch that's why I had two but when he gets bigger I'll get him his own tank because I wanted to start a shrimp/ pleco/snail tank in the future. I'm at work but when I get home I'll post pictures of how it looks now.
Do you have any other tiger barbs? Only one will cause a problem, these fish are even more aggressive and lonely in small numbers than other tetra species

It is definitely not a glowfish danio, it is a skirt tetra glowfish. I concur with everything @CryptFan said above.

Do you have any other tiger barbs? Only one will cause a problem, these fish are even more aggressive and lonely in small numbers than other tetra species
No i got him free because he was the last one at the store and he would've died of loneliness there. Hes been doing really good in this tank and he's bonded with the one blue one I have .

I’m not sure I would say it takes a long time to grow out a pleco. If they’re kept well, I’ve had them maxed out in a year.
They told me it was just the type I have and I've had him almost 2 years now but he's still tiny and he's pretty active

No i got him free because he was the last one at the store and he would've died of loneliness there. Hes been doing really good in this tank and he's bonded with the one blue one I have .

This was a mistake. I know you intended well, but if this turns out well it will be almost a miracle. The opposite is far more likely.

Tiger Barbs are naturally feisty and fin nippers. A group of at least 8, but preferably 10-12 or more, is preferable and usually controls their feistiness. This group of TB requires a 30g tank to themselves. With other fish,. the tank needs to be larger. And other fish need to be equally active, as sedate and quiet fish will inevitably be stressed and likely die off.

This is the inherent trait of this species, and none of us can change how fish are programmed. We can only understand the species' requirements, and provide accordingly, if we want healthy fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back