Glass fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Amber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just out of interest does anyone else keep these fish, if so what do you feed.

Mine refuse to take flake and any type of frozen meal once its hit the floor - its like they can't see it on the gravel or don't queit know how to go about picking it up from the gravel - the bumble bee gobies take from the floor easily but then the hungry glass fish spot it and take the worms from the gobies mouths!
I feed live every so often but can't do it all the time, just wondered if anyone has had the same experience with these fish or has any feeding tips for a happy, well fed tank!

Do you mean glass catfish?

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=72000

If so, no, they wont feed from the bottum of the tank. they constantkly swim in the current of yor filter and wait for food to pass. Feed in front of them and they will take food. Mine take flake from the surface, but i feed them frozen brine shrimp and bloodworm once or twice a day.

No sorry, Indian Glass Fish (Chanda Ranga)

As you have found glass fish are reluctant to take non live foods as like all members of the perch family their feeding instincts are triggered by movement.
To make sure they get enough food when feeding frozen add the defrosted food in tiny ammounts at a time so that if they miss one bit there will be more drifting through the water column soon after.

Thank you CFC.
So far bloodworm seems to be the only frozen food I can get they really like daphnia don't do it for them and I can't seem to get hold of any frozen brine shrimp to try 'em on round where I live, is there any other foods they may enjoy?
I thought about chopping up some prawns that I had in my freezer but saw that they had salt added and was unsure if this would be harmfull to them.

Any suggestions so I may give them a varied diet?

Look in the LFS freezer for gamma shrimp or mysis shrimp, these are smaller than usual shrimps so the glass fish will be able to manage them easily, they are also a big part of the natural diet of most fish.

I'll put them on my shopping list ;) - I'll step up the live feeds as well as much as I can.

Myself & my glass fish thank you!

brine shrimp gets packaged as Artemia which might be why you miss iy.

Hope you have some more success feeding.

i ahve 2 of these fish and they only eat crushed up flake food and crushed up bloodworms and halfed BBS ^_^ they are picky!

daudy_dojo said:
^_^ they are picky!
Glad to hear it, I was begining to think it was just my ugly mug up at the glass putting them off there food! :hyper:

I keep both Glass Fish (Chanda ranga) and Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus bicirrhis) both species where really picky at first. Now both species will eat out of my fingers. I feed them blood worms once in a while. They get a consistent diet of flakes, daphnia, and tubifex worms cubes, which I brake up little by little in the water and they go crazy over it. Trust me, they will eat, it just takes time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back