Glass cup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bought a couple of small glass cups which stick on the aquarium glass which I was planning on trying to grow something in the cup and letting it grow downwards out of the cup is there a plant that has the kind of effect.. if that makes any sense 😅😅

Hydrocotyle sp.japan would be perfect for this :) Also could try Monte Carlo, I've seen that draped over things before.

Wills

I would just remind you that plants grow toward the light source. I've never tried this, but I would expect any stem plant to grow up from the lowest node toward the surface where the light presumably is. I don't think you could get any plant to grow downward. Even my Anubias and Java Fern rhizomes, tend to grow toward the light.

True aquatic plants have air in their stems that causes them to float up.

The only way to have plants growing over the side of a cup while it's under water, would be to use Java Moss on it, then glue it to the cup.

If the cup is above the water, then any terrestrial plant that has a creeping effect can be used assuming it's a non toxic plant.

I thought the exact same, whatever you put in it will just float around in the water...but that would be really cool too, give it a go and show us what you come up with, I'm interested to see the outcome

I think Hydrocotyle sp. Japan or Tripartita would work - it tends to grow horizontally and in a creeping manor and I think with a bit of training it would creep over the edge of the cup and fall over the edge. It can grow as an epiphyte too so rooting isnt too much of an issue, I'd maybe put some gravel or aquarium soil over the root in the cup to weight it down but yeah I think it would work.

Wills

I have a couple small plastic cups that are planted with emersed plants that are growing nicely but upwards above the water where they'll eventually flower beautifully. Moss seems to be about the only stuff that won't float but if I were to opt for that I'd probably go for coral moss/Asian Leverwort, with the lovely looking seaweedy effect they have

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back