Glass Condensation Covers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShinySideUp

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My six foot tank has glass brace bars (about 2" wide) running above the waterline at front and back, there is also a wide (8") brace bar glued across the tank from the front to the back.

Water is very heavy and I always worry about clouting these brace bars and causing damage.

My question is: Will the front and rear brace bars support glass condensation covers without risk? Obviously the bars are there to stop bending in the glass front and rear panels and their strength lies in their horizontal fixing but will they have enough strength to support, what I would consider, a small vertical weight of glass covers.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of changing my light system to one that is not particularly resistant to condensation but is cheaper to buy and run.

I've nearly always had glass covers on my bracing bars without a problem; it's the old school way (and glass doesn't yellow like the plastic drip trays do!).

I've never had a problem using heavy glass covers on any of my tanks.

My 5-foot long 115g tank has a centre brace panel of glass siliconed to the front and rear galss and frame, which seems to be the same as you (Shiny) describe.  I have a glass cover set that consists of two sets, not one full-length set, and this probably lessens the overall weight in the centre.  There are very light black plastic rails, one in the middle that sits on the brace.  This tank is now 20 years old, and this has worked.  The light fixture also adds some weight to this brace too.

I remember when I bought this tank (new) hearing that these siliconed braces do sometimes give out, and with a 20-year old tank I now think of this a lot.  So much that I am intending to sell it and the fish are now out of it.  There is nothing worse than an exploding tank; the glass panels can shatter and sharp pieces of glass imbed themselves in the drywall...imagine what this would do to you if you happened to be there when it happened.

But up to now, I've had no issues.

Byron. 

Polycarbonate covers instead of glass?

Also, little bit of advice: set the covers at a bit of an angle, so that condensation rolls off and goes back in the tank. The covers will be a little bit lighter without the weight of the water and the light will have a little bit less impediment in getting through.

Zante said:
Polycarbonate covers instead of glass?

Also, little bit of advice: set the covers at a bit of an angle, so that condensation rolls off and goes back in the tank. The covers will be a little bit lighter without the weight of the water and the light will have a little bit less impediment in getting through.

That sounds like a great tip, to get the water rolling back into the tank rather than have drip water marks on the glass.

Methinks will give that a try with 2 pieces of glass cut to size.

Marvellous :)

OK, sounds good. I will try polycarbonate first although I believe it might go cloudy when exposed to the aquarium lights for a long time, we'll see.

My parents have solar panels for hot water with polycarbonate instead of glass. They've been working fine for the last 16 years in the Italian sun.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back