Glass Catfish with bent spine

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So today I looked at my fishes and noticed one of the glass cats has a bent spine. Just after it's head it's bent. She seems to be swimming okay but worried if this may be bad for her :'(. Yesterday I fed them some blood worms and they normally seem to stay in one area of the tank. This area sometimes I noticed they wiggle through the loosened java moss which had fell from the wood I have so wondering if she really jerked herself between the moss during feeding to have done it.
Just hope it's not something which will cause her to deteriorate

Got a picture of her :-(

Attachments

• _20191228_213423.JPG
    _20191228_213423.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 293
So just isolated her in the tank. Dangled a few leaves of my plants in the tray. She easily ate the food I gave her but now she's just lieing on the bottom. Probably going to be bad news in the morning :byebye:

Just to update she's still alive. Poo looks normal and no signs of struggle. She easily ate yesterday and going to see later in the evening how she is.

Another update, she's still here eating very well. Should I just release her back in the tank? I would think a disease would cause more problems more than a bent spine.

I've read up that TB can cause this but she doesn't seem to be deteriorating.

I probably will be going to release her back into the tank. Can see she's looking stressed being in that confined space. Hopefully she is not infected with anything.

Since my last post I put her back in the tank. This is probably a miracle but I counted all catfishes and all are still there and I believe the one with the bent spine has now fixed itself

Bad news, did a water change today and about 3 hours later I saw a catfish most likely her again on the floor curled up in a C position. Placed her in a hatchery again. She swims around occasionally but doesn't seem to be eating. Just turned the lights off to go to bed so just have to see what happens in the morning

Attachments

• _20200112_002415.JPG
    _20200112_002415.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 104
She sadly died that night. Counted 4 cats yesterday and hoping the 5th one was hiding somewhere

Now have another cat looking to be dying. Have 5 now but might lose another one.

Just wondering what may of caused this? Could a water change do this? Just wondering if I matched the new water temperature to the tank.

Sudden changes in water temperature won't harm fish as long as it isn't a massive change. but a few degrees is fine.

If the new water has chlorine/ chloramine in, it will harm fish. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Post pictures of the fish.
Check water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Here's a picture of her. No temptation to eat which is really bad.
I have a old bottle of seachem prime near the last few drops left so not sure if it's way over expiration. Planning on getting a new bottle.

All water parameters are good with 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and around 40ppm nitrates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-164922.png
    Screenshot_20200119-164922.png
    632.4 KB · Views: 145

Most reactions

trending

Back