Glass beads for substrate?

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
So I want to change my substrate however I really don't think I want to use sand unless I absolutely have to.

I currently have 5 Dojo Loaches in my 75g. The substrate I have is not good for them. I wanted to get some feedback regarding "fire glass" beads like the ones in the pic below.

Thanks in advance!😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_093309.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_093309.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 47
I will leave it for members more knowledgeable on these glass beads to comment. What is the present substrate that you say is not good for dojo loaches?

I will leave it for members more knowledgeable on these glass beads to comment. What is the present substrate that you say is not good for dojo loaches?
I currently have this. See below pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_102316.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_102316.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 42
I currently have this. See below pic.

I would not think that substrate is a problem, though one thing to look out for...if the colour coating comes off. I had this back in the 1980's with black gravel that after a few months began to turn blue as the black coating came off. Got rid of it.

I myself would never use glass beads because I know glass can have shards, which is one reason the tank should never be bare glass bottom. But let's get more opinions. As for sand, normally the best substrate, I would wonder if the large dojos might have issues with it? Others can advise on this too.

My first thought is those beads would have much less surface area for beneficial bacteria. Plus uneaten food and fish waste can fall between the beads, even moreso than gravel. And if you want live plants, root feeders won't do well with glass beads.

I would not think that substrate is a problem, though one thing to look out for...if the colour coating comes off. I had this back in the 1980's with black gravel that after a few months began to turn blue as the black coating came off. Got rid of it.

I myself would never use glass beads because I know glass can have shards, which is one reason the tank should never be bare glass bottom. But let's get more opinions. As for sand, normally the best substrate, I would wonder if the large dojos might have issues with it? Others can advise on this too.
With Dojos being bottom dwellers and they dig for food, they are getting injured with the current substrate. They are albino Dojos so it's easy to see the red marks on the top of their heads from digging so hard. I've started feeding floating food (mostly blood worms) so that they won't need to dig to eat.

My thoughts are that with the smoothness of the glass beads they won't get injured.

I experiment with substrate quite a bit, my first thoughts are it will be OK, but I would have some concerns.
  • It will be expensive, I just put 125 lbs of small gravel substrate in my 75 gal. tank. About 1.5 cubic ft. Specific gravity for glass beads around 2.5, for Silica Sand 2.6 so you may need about 100 to 110 pounds. Inter particle spacing also has an influence.
  • There will be some broken spheres, which as other's have suggested may create some sharp edges, so might not be appropriate for dojo loaches (I don't know anything about the fish)
  • My experiments with ground glass as a substrate has shown I can get good plant growth in a glass substrate but be aware that the plants do not hold their position in it, slightest pull and the plants come out. The plant will pulled up very easy with ground glass and I suspect the rounded spheres will make it worse. In ground glass the plants grow almost like they were in a hydroponic media. (note ground glass is not very sharp on the hands but I wouldn't used if for any tank with bottom dwellers or users)
  • Because the spheres will mostly be round and because the size is relatively uniform there will be a lot of inter particle space. This means material will fall into it easier, but it also means you will have more water circulation through your substrate. I just removed the old substrate from my 75 gallon because I believe the variability of the particle size caused nutrient accumulation that could not be removed. I am unclear which is better in the long run, more uniformity or less.
  • Even rounded Silica sand has a lot more surface texture for the bacteria to colonize, the glass will effectively not have any in comparison. (Mentioned by others above.)
Overall this would be a fringe type of tank substrate. I wouldn't use it simply because of the fish you keep. If you was to use it, expect to change it out again if it doesn't work.

I did some research just now, and soft sand is the recommended substrate for Misgurnus anguillicaudatus which I assume is the species being discussed. @Uberhoust raises some serious issues, and all things considered I think you are best with sand here, and soft sand like play sand seems preferable. The lengthy processing of play sand removes any issues of sharpness.

Thank you both for the info! Okay, so no glass. I was kinda concerned with the price, super expensive.

I know that sand is recommended however, I have read a lot of info about how difficult it is to take care of.

I have also looked into river rocks like these. What's y'all take on these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_130146.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_130146.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 32
I know that sand is recommended however, I have read a lot of info about how difficult it is to take care of.

This is another myth or old wives tale, there are several in this hobby. Utter nonsense. I changed to play sand about 9 or 10 years back, and never had problems with any of my 8 or more tanks in the fishroom. Some tanks I left the substrate alone, others I might rund the water changer over the open areas. I certainly never dug into the sand in any tank. And some of my tanks were quite well stocked.

As for the black whatever those are...not as a substrate. River rock itself is a nice hardscape material, I had a few pieces of varying size in some of my tanks. But not as a substrate material. Your fish need sand.

I have inert sand in 4 tanks. Maintenance is pretty much zero. All these tanks have MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails), two have corys and another has shrimp. All have a good number of plants. For the first few days (weeks???) you will see mulm on the sand and feel the urge to vacuum. Leave it and soon it will disappear. It really does disappear and its not just that you get used to it. I guess its mostly bacterial action but whatever the sand is clean - even if I do stir it. It goes without saying you should avoid over feeding.

Personally I would never consider going back to gravel because IMHO that is way to much work to maintain.

Thanks so much guys! Sand it is!

What are your thoughts on the black diamond that you get fron the tractor supply store? I have read alot about that as well.

Thanks so much guys! Sand it is!

What are your thoughts on the black diamond that you get fron the tractor supply store? I have read alot about that as well.
You have an issue here with the digging fish getting scratched by rough substrate, so industrial sands like Black Diamond are no good. You want the softest sand, and that is play sand or a special aquarium sand. As you are in NA, visit Lowe's or Home Depot for Quikrete Play Sand.

You have an issue here with the digging fish getting scratched by rough substrate, so industrial sands like Black Diamond are no good. You want the softest sand, and that is play sand or a special aquarium sand. As you are in NA, visit Lowe's or Home Depot for Quikrete Play Sand.
And as I love to point out, play sand is substantially cheaper. The great thing is that this isn't skimping by getting something substandard to the detriment of the fish to save a few bucks. Play sand is ideal for both the fish and the wallet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back