Glass beads for substrate?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It doesn't matter where you put the food - if loaches are like other bottom sifting species I've kept (I have never gotten into loaches), they will instinctively dig. It's where the food is in nature for them. Most of the time, they will roll the sand, or gravel, or glass beads I expect around to skim its surface off and feed on the delicious biofilm.

Thank you for your response. I've actually been feeding them blood worms that float. They haven't really dug down deep like they were before. Just wish I had the resources to do the job quicker. Swapping it out by myself is a HUGE task for this old lady! 😳😆

put all the fish in the temporary tank together, and then change the substrate in the main tank. What you are doing is causing more stress. Plus you are still running the risk of an anaerobic issue.
Okay, okay, okay... I hear you. Kinda feels like I'm being scolded and that's okay cuz sometimes my stubborn a$$ needs it!

Honestly, I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed, especially since I'm doing it solo. But I will definitely follow your advice. Thank you! I appreciate you!!😀

Several of us have set out what is needed, so when we see you going off on a different road that we believe will cause more problems, it is only natural we become more direct. We want you to be successful with this. :fish:

Several of us have set out what is needed, so when we see you going off on a different road that we believe will cause more problems, it is only natural we become more direct. We want you to be successful with this. :fish:
Honestly Byron, I actually prefer the direct approach as apposed to a "Sugar Coating" approach. It's just how I'm wired.
I'm sure that some of us newbies (myself included) probably get on y'alls nerves. 😳😆
I just want to say that I am very thankful that you and the others are here to provide guidance. Y'all have helped me ALOT with this new journey. I have learned soooooooooo much, thanks to this forum.
Glad I found y'all and appreciate all y'all to pieces!!
:thanks: :thanks::thanks:

Thank you for your response. I've actually been feeding them blood worms that float. They haven't really dug down deep like they were before. Just wish I had the resources to do the job quicker. Swapping it out by myself is a HUGE task for this old lady! 😳😆

All the more reason to move the fish out and settle them comfortably in the 10 and 5 gallon, so you can take your time and deal with the substrate switch at your own pace! ;)

It is a big job, but it's so much easier when you're not worrying about spooking the fish, and you're not trying to rush the job while the fish are in a bucket, you know?:)

You want to move the cycled sponge filters to the temporary tanks, if they aren't cycled? You want to keep the bacteria on the main tanks filters alive, so running them on the temp tanks will do that, and keep the fish safe while you swap out the sand.
I'm sure that some of us newbies (myself included) probably get on y'alls nerves. 😳😆

Nope! People only join in a thread if they want to, so definitely not annoying! Especially when it's someone who is willing to listen, appreciates the help, and is most worried about the welfare of their fish! Who wouldn't want to help in those circumstances? It's why we're here, to help each other out where we can, and seek help when we need advice or suggestions ourselves. So definitely don't be afraid to ask questions, it's a good thing! :)
I just want to say that I am very thankful that you and the others are here to provide guidance. Y'all have helped me ALOT with this new journey. I have learned soooooooooo much, thanks to this forum.
Glad I found y'all and appreciate all y'all to pieces!!
:thanks: :thanks::thanks:

We're definitely lucky to have some really lovely and knowledgeable people here. I've learned so much since joining, definitely the best resource for my hobby, in my mind. Being able to pick the brains of people with incredible experience and knowledge like @Byron , Seangee, GaryE, Emeraldking etc... there's a good group of helpful people here, it's great!

Good luck with the substrate switch, it'll be easier than you imagine I think, I've found it easier than I dread it being! It's good that you're doing the best thing for your fish, and I've also found sand much easier to maintain, I don't think you'll regret it!

Thank you soooo much for the encouragement!! Even tho I should already know how to do this, and I kinda do. The direction you just gave me about the filters gave me a visual of seeing all of these filters on a 10g 😳😆
And I agree with my head making the task seem bigger than it probably is. Not to mention that it's been running since Aug 8th, and it's only been completely cycled for about a month. It's been nice not having to stress every single day like I was.
As for the sand. I know that I need to wash it, is there any tips that you can give me? Right now I'm thinking buckets and a colander in the tub.

There are few things that I have to do to make room for the 10g. But I will definitely give an update. Here is what it looks like right now. I do have to admit, I'm lowkey excited lol

Attachments

• 20230303_210850.jpg
    20230303_210850.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 34
Since you posted pics of dark substrate what I have in my signature tank is black limpopo sand, which is inert river sand. Just FWIW here is a pic I took last night 3 1/2 years after changing the substrate. I have never touched it aside from adding root tablets for the plants

View attachment 310301
Maybe I am mistaken, but this does not look like sand to me. Sand has a grain size below 1mm. Ideal for the aquarium is 0.4-08.mm. For unknown reason a lot of gravel in the 1-3mm grain size range is also labelled as sand, but this is still gravel and will behave diffenrently. Also it is too crude for the many of the bottom dwellers to follow there natural behaviour of sifting substrate through the gills.

Maybe I am mistaken, but this does not look like sand to me. Sand has a grain size below 1mm. Ideal for the aquarium is 0.4-08.mm. For unknown reason a lot of gravel in the 1-3mm grain size range is also labelled as sand, but this is still gravel and will behave diffenrently. Also it is too crude for the many of the bottom dwellers to follow there natural behaviour of sifting substrate through the gills.

I happen to have the same brand of sand that @seangee does, because I saw his tanks and loved the sand, and found the same one for a good price. It's Unipac Black Limpopo sand, "A tasteful and striking mix of sand grains approx 0.2-1mm in size" and I've watched my bronze, sterbai and schwartzi cories sift it without problems! It can be hard to guess a substrate size by looking at a single photo. I do use Unipac's silver sand for my pygmy cory sand, since they're tiny and it's a much finer sand, but for the average aquarium cory, the black limpopo sand is fine!

These are some of the bronze cory fry on the limpopo sand from the parent tank:

DSCF5102.JPG

Plants do well in it:
DSCF4847.JPG

And I've seen my cory gang sift through it and bury their whole heads at times! No ill effects :)
DSCF5583.JPG
DSCF8933.JPG

With Dojos being bottom dwellers and they dig for food, they are getting injured with the current substrate. They are albino Dojos so it's easy to see the red marks on the top of their heads from digging so hard. I've started feeding floating food (mostly blood worms) so that they won't need to dig to eat.

My thoughts are that with the smoothness of the glass beads they won't get injured.
Seachem matrix can be used as substrate as its rock not glass. Sintered glass best used in canister filter. Seachem matrix serves as beneficial bacterial media.
May matrix with light sand to close the rock gaps.

Hey y'all,
So I want to change my substrate however I really don't think I want to use sand unless I absolutely have to.

I currently have 5 Dojo Loaches in my 75g. The substrate I have is not good for them. I wanted to get some feedback regarding "fire glass" beads like the ones in the pic below.

Thanks in advance!😁
UPDATE:
First off, I just wanna thank y'all for your expertise and opinions. Truly appreciated!!

Soooooo... My apartment flooded (no not the tank lol) I had to empty the tank so they could lay new carpet. Two platties were transferred to the 5g and the rest to the 10g. I've lost 2 Dojos and I ended up re-homing the 4 platties. At first I had 3 fry, well only 1 fry has survived the ordeal. He/she is now in the 10g with my 3 Dojos (they are hatin life right now).
I have about 6 20lb bags of black sand. I have purchased some drift wood and a few other things. I also plan on putting limo window tint on the back, wish me luck on that one!! 🥴😆

Attached is the "before" pic.

I'll keep y'all posted!!

Attachments

• 20230508_115642.jpg
    20230508_115642.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 18
UPDATE:
First off, I just wanna thank y'all for your expertise and opinions. Truly appreciated!!

Soooooo... My apartment flooded (no not the tank lol) I had to empty the tank so they could lay new carpet. Two platties were transferred to the 5g and the rest to the 10g. I've lost 2 Dojos and I ended up re-homing the 4 platties. At first I had 3 fry, well only 1 fry has survived the ordeal. He/she is now in the 10g with my 3 Dojos (they are hatin life right now).
I have about 6 20lb bags of black sand. I have purchased some drift wood and a few other things. I also plan on putting limo window tint on the back, wish me luck on that one!! 🥴😆

Attached is the "before" pic.

I'll keep y'all posted!!
Update:
It's been taking a while to get to the tank. I had to say goodbye to my 17 year old Sasha Gurl and am still grieving 😿. I entered her in one of the monthly polls a couple of months ago. 😢
So the flood is done and have new carpeting through out.
Tank is all cleaned up and put in place. I purchased some black poster board for the back. Complete fail!! It will be getting redone.
I have black sand from Petco, which I didn't rinse but seems to be okay. Still figuring out how and what to arrange. Decorating is NOT my forte 🥴. I have a couple of pieces of driftwood from Petco. I also have some slate rock and a couple of other rocks. Going to get some floaters tomorrow.
Right now I'm just trying to get my Dojos out of the 10 gallon. I have an Aquaclear 50 in the 10g and a sponge filter along with a plastic plant and a small deco which will be transferred in stages to the 75gal which currently has two Aquaclear 110's.
Feeling a little intimidated by the sand but pushing through.
Here's the current situation. I've also added a pic of my sweet Sasha Gurl 😻.

Will keep y'all posted! All decorating suggestions are very much welcomed!

Attachments

• 20230528_175911.jpg
    20230528_175911.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1613616228546.jpg
    FB_IMG_1613616228546.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back