Girlfriend Gave The "go" For A Shrimp Only Tank! :d

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

l_l_l

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a 20 Gallon Aquarium with Betta, neons and Shrimp in it, and since we put the Betta back in the tank (he was Quarantined for Velvet) The shrimp started hiding.

My girlfriend really loved the shrimp and is feeling let down because they started hiding since the Betta is in.

I've been trying to convince her of getting a shrimp only tank and finally, this morning, she woke up and told me that she'd love to have a shrimp only tank. YAY! Victory hurray!!

Now, I will need to hunt for a nice 5 or 10 Gallon aquarium, and an internal sponge filter!
And I need to find a type of shrimp that would breed as well as cherry but without being cherry shrimp!

I'm thinking Cardinal Shrimp, but open to suggestions!
If any of you have details on the best type of tank for shrimp, well, go ahead and shoot on!

Cheers!

ok so, what's your reason for non cherry shrimp? Just don't want red? because there's several color varieties of the same shrimp.  They come in of course cherry, and, super cherry, yellow, and blue, I think green as well.  Otherwise I'm not sure what will breed in tank.  You may get ghost shrimp to breed if you get your water perfect/brackish.

The reason I want something else than Cherry is because I already have some in this tank!
I would like different colors, and I saw the cardinal and they look so beautiful!

I'd probably sell a few to my LFS as well, they said they'd gladly take some!
:)

I've just got a lovely 5g shrimp tank. I got anything I need for it included with the tank, mini heater, sponge filter. It's gonna be a perfect shrimp setup. I got it from swell uk for £44

What model of tank is it?

I've got my old 20 gallon set up waiting for shrimpies using it as a fry tank at the moment, when my supplier is selling again I'm gonna get me some cherries! I was torn between the blue ones as well though

HI,
I had to laugh when I read this, I had the same with my g/f when I bought a 3ft tank 10 months ago... she loved it now I have 3 one being a 4ft x 2 x 2
She will eventually let you get more as long as you do all the work pmsl

BrianMcC said:
HI,
I had to laugh when I read this, I had the same with my g/f when I bought a 3ft tank 10 months ago... she loved it now I have 3 one being a 4ft x 2 x 2
She will eventually let you get more as long as you do all the work pmsl
Well yes! She saw that I take good care of my 20 and 46 aquariums (she's the one who actually found them!) And she wasn't feeling very happy about the thought of getting another tank. Seems like she fell in love with the shrimplets tho, because every morning she says she's sad about not seeing them as often as before!

This morning: She said for herself that we should get one for the shrimp only :)
Now, I'm debating on getting either 5G, or 10G, leaning towards the 5g tho as space is getting tighter and tighter!
Wondering where I would put it as well ! :p

So many things to take into account!

Yay! Thats good news! 
wink.png

I have a 5.8 gal nano tank and is perfect for shrimps, I have Orange Cherry Shrimps, a variant of the Red Cherry Shrimps. They behave exactly the same and no difference except in colour!

Cardinals are really nice although they are a bit more sensitive to water parameters and need to keep a careful eye on water param and temps as small tanks are prone to swings sometimes.

Hers some info on cardinal shrimps as well as other species of shrimps, although i'd suggest just staying with other variants of RCS as these are cheaper and hardier than most other shrimps, I've seen lovely bright yellows, greens and obviously orange RCS, do your research first is all am saying.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Cardinal_Shrimp.html

Good luck with this and do let us know how you get on, pics too of course! 
happy.png

l_l_l said:
What model of tank is it?
It's an aquael shrimp set, it's a nice looking little tank as well. And will look good once it's set up

Ch4rlie said:
Yay! Thats good news! 
wink.png

I have a 5.8 gal nano tank and is perfect for shrimps, I have Orange Cherry Shrimps, a variant of the Red Cherry Shrimps. They behave exactly the same and no difference except in colour!

Cardinals are really nice although they are a bit more sensitive to water parameters and need to keep a careful eye on water param and temps as small tanks are prone to swings sometimes.

Hers some info on cardinal shrimps as well as other species of shrimps, although i'd suggest just staying with other variants of RCS as these are cheaper and hardier than most other shrimps, I've seen lovely bright yellows, greens and obviously orange RCS, do your research first is all am saying.

http://www.planetinverts.com/Cardinal_Shrimp.html

Good luck with this and do let us know how you get on, pics too of course! 
happy.png
Thanks for the suggestion!
It is true that cardinal shrimp are harder to keep.. And way more expensive!!
I might stick with RCS variants as you suggested, depending on what I can source locally!

The green shrimps i saw in my LFS were rather expensive too, they were high graded, so they were £15 EACH! But really were stunning, SS graded. Sorely tempted!

Have seen Red Crystals going for silly prices, so be aware there are some very expensive shrimps out there and are graded due to colours so the higher graded the shrimp, the more expensive, SSS highest grade really.

Hence why i went for oranges, much cheaper, think was about £2.50 each.

Am sure if you shop around, you'll find something that you will really like and at your price range, then go for it, just do research and homework first.

seems a lot of menfolk have problems getting the ladies to agree to more tanks! I have the opposite, my man keeps telling me two tanks is overkill and complaining about energy costs....but we took down both of the kid tanks, and I'm running my old 20 off an air pump and a heater... it's actually less than having both kids with a running tank! non fish enthusiasts just don't get it.

BelldandyShanny said:
seems a lot of menfolk have problems getting the ladies to agree to more tanks! I have the opposite, my man keeps telling me two tanks is overkill and complaining about energy costs....but we took down both of the kid tanks, and I'm running my old 20 off an air pump and a heater... it's actually less than having both kids with a running tank! non fish enthusiasts just don't get it.

Not a problem for me!  
laugh.png

My GF actually wanted a shrimp tank for her birthday, did not have to ask me twice before i bought one for her! lol

But to be fair, she thought I was mad when I first set up my first tank and blown the budget on equipment, decor and stocking etc.
But once had stocking in the tank, she came around and I explained what behaviours to look for in my threadfins, such as flaring and long fins, colours etc then when I added my RCS a few weeks later, she was hooked! She loves shrimps
biggrin.png

Its actually good having a partner who is interested in the same hobby of fish keeping, gives another set of opinions and ideas of what we can do to our tanks and set ups etc.

So, I am really glad my GF is interested too. 
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back