Gimpy Oto? Birth defect, injury or disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Naidisbo

Reaction score
My mum had recently bought two "Algae Eaters" to combat an algae bloom, some kind of Oto but I don't remember what kind.
Anyway, she let the assistant choose any random two - It was only when she got home that she noticed one of them had a curved back.
20170324_133011.png
20170324_133040.png

Is it possible they were born like this, or is it something that happened to them afterwards?
They don't seem to be in any pain and the other Oto hangs out with them just fine - No discrimination.

Last edited:
It could be a birth defect. Keep an eye out for any other symptoms, though, just in case.
By the way, that's a Chinese Algae Eater. They get up to a foot long and aggressive. Usually people sell them as algae eaters, but only the babies eat algae. As they grow, they begin to feed on meat and the protective slime layer on fish.
This could be what is happening with your Glofish, if your ghost shrimp isn't a macro.

By the way, that's a Chinese Algae Eater. They get up to a foot long and aggressive. Usually people sell them as algae eaters, but only the babies eat algae. As they grow, they begin to feed on meat and the protective slime layer on fish.

Wow. Well, I'll have to go tell her that then.
I'll probably end up having to be the one to take care of them now rip.

Hah, so that's why they look so adorable.
They're just tiny, little youngsters of viscous murderers.

They are nice looking fish! Just a little... mean...

I should have known by that look in their eye.
I'm almost scared of their future appetite... One day in there and they had some uncontrollable brown algae almost fully eaten.

They are great algae eaters when young. If you do get rid of them, look into nerite snails for algae control.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back