Gill Problem?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Common livebearers from Asia are riddled with diseases and are inbred. This causes them to have a lot more health issues than local bred fish and fish that are from unrelated parents.

If this all started after she gave birth, then she might have been a weak fish to begin with and giving birth pushed her over the edge.

Another problem with livebearers is the females regularly become gravid (pregnant) when they are young (3-4 months old). This means they are not as well developed as they could be and there is more chance of them having complications compared to bigger older females that are 12 months old. Ideally, you don't want female livebearers to become gravid until they are at least 6 (preferably 12 months) old.

yea i blame myself of not knowing this before, shoud’ve ask for pure female to start with, and now I am also having problem in birth control…

what kind if fishes are locallimg bred?

Thanks for the input!

There's no way you could have known about this beforehand. Most shops don't even know about fish being inbred as much as they are. Some do but most don't.

If you walk into a pet shop and ask for a pure female, they won't know what you are talking about. If you ask for a female that isn't pregnant, they can't guarantee it because the fish farmers in Asia keep young male and female fish together. So any females you get can be gravid or carrying sperm packets from previous matings.

Virtually any fish can be locally bred. You would have to ask the store if they get locally bred fish in. Even if they do, they usually get mixed in with other fish of the same species so you can't tell which is which.

The best you can do is get healthy looking fish and hope they are healthy and capable of breeding. Then keep the young and grow them up, but separate males and females as soon as you can sex them. Then allow the females to grow up and become strong and healthy before breeding them with unrelated males.

Thanks. Some ppl said we can use the API metaflex for 5 days before introducing any new fishes into the aquarium, to make sure they are cleared of internal parasites / bacteria etc, will you also recommend that?

Thanks. Some ppl said we can use the API metaflex for 5 days before introducing any new fishes into the aquarium, to make sure they are cleared of internal parasites / bacteria etc, will you also recommend that?
No.

You can deworm fish in a quarantine tank before adding them to a display tank and that is fine. But you only want to use deworming medication, not medications that combine dewormers with antibiotics like the API and Seachem stuff does.

Section 3 of the following link has information on treating fish for intestinal worms. If you quarantine all new fish for 4 weeks, you can deworm them while they are in quarantine and this will give you healthier fish in the display tank.

No.

You can deworm fish in a quarantine tank before adding them to a display tank and that is fine. But you only want to use deworming medication, not medications that combine dewormers with antibiotics like the API and Seachem stuff does.

Section 3 of the following link has information on treating fish for intestinal worms. If you quarantine all new fish for 4 weeks, you can deworm them while they are in quarantine and this will give you healthier fish in the display tank.
So if I want to make it simpler, I need to use eSHa gdex and ndx separately, that would mean 8 weeks of quarantine?

You can use them during the same week. Just do big water changes between uses. Or just treat for thread worms, they are more common than tapeworm.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back