Gill Problem?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

h99

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have a sunset platy that has 2 problem,

1) Popeye, I applied 7 days of Melafix and she seems to be getting better
2) Gill redish, hardly describe, but attached 2 photos showing how it looks like, redish, and a bit “pop” out.

She is in a quarantine tank now, but i can hardly figure out what’s the problem, so would want to seek for help from the forum. by any chance it can be caused by parasite? should I apply api general cure?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4F9EA9AA-26BD-4637-B33F-BF5AAC782EFF.jpeg
    4F9EA9AA-26BD-4637-B33F-BF5AAC782EFF.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 33
  • F4AFC9AE-9686-44BC-A713-01691F299326.jpeg
    F4AFC9AE-9686-44BC-A713-01691F299326.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 33
Water params? Any change in the platy's behaviour? If kept in community, are there any other fish showing symptoms? Looks like it could be gill flukes?

can you take some pictures of the fish when it is inside a plain bored glass tank so it isn't distorted by curved plastic?

then tell us about the fish, how long you've had it, when this started, how long the tanks been set up, etc.

can you take some pictures of the fish when it is inside a plain bored glass tank so it isn't distorted by curved plastic?

then tell us about the fish, how long you've had it, when this started, how long the tanks been set up, etc.
will try, coz it happens pretty sudden and I dont have a better tank for her, but as you can see, her right gill seems to be almost falling off

the fish is with me for around a month, I noticed that there are some problem with her eye so moved her out to this tank. it started for around a week. no ither fishs in the tank are with the same issue.

tank has been setup for long, using api drop test kit gives 0 ammonia amd 0 nitrite.

Water params? Any change in the platy's behaviour? If kept in community, are there any other fish showing symptoms? Looks like it could be gill flukes?
no no issue with the other fishes in the community

It could be gill flukes or a gill infection or gill tumour.

I would try salt because that can help with gill flukes and minor infections, but there is no cure for gill tumours. A gill tumour will get bigger over time and start to look like a pale pink growth coming out from behind the gill cover (the part that is sticking out now).

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

It could be gill flukes or a gill infection or gill tumour.

I would try salt because that can help with gill flukes and minor infections, but there is no cure for gill tumours. A gill tumour will get bigger over time and start to look like a pale pink growth coming out from behind the gill cover (the part that is sticking out now).

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.
Thanks Colin for all the details. I am trying salt treatment now using sea salt (those like saxa) would that work?

She’s also doing white poop and losing appetite… worrying if it is related with tumour 😭, she just give burth if 14 small babies

No, saxa is a table salt. You need to use aquarium salt so there are no caking agents in it.

Reactions: h99
If she is doing stringy white poop and losing her appetite, then she has an internal issue, most likely an internal protozoan infection. She could also have complications from giving birth. If that is the case she will probably die.

The following link has information on treating fish with stringy white poop. However, it is probably cheaper to euthanise the fish and keep some of her babies rather than trying to treat her for the internal issues and gill problems, which may or may not work. If you do want to try and treat her, look for some metronidazole and treat the tank.

If she is doing stringy white poop and losing her appetite, then she has an internal issue, most likely an internal protozoan infection. She could also have complications from giving birth. If that is the case she will probably die.

The following link has information on treating fish with stringy white poop. However, it is probably cheaper to euthanise the fish and keep some of her babies rather than trying to treat her for the internal issues and gill problems, which may or may not work. If you do want to try and treat her, look for some metronidazole and treat the tank.
Thabks alots Colin. I had used metronidazole, also got a consiltation from a vet on the line and she doesnt seema to be internal issue, as she has no cone shape fins.

Her babies were moved ti another tank once she give birth. Now I am trying aquarium salt. Posting 1 more photo which is the best I could take after moving her to a plain glass quarantine tank

Attachments

• A00932DE-2F59-4F6E-8EEC-8135E6CDF5D6.png
    A00932DE-2F59-4F6E-8EEC-8135E6CDF5D6.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 18
one more thing, it seems like she does not loss the appetite, but when she tried to eat some pellets, she seems to have difficulty in swallow, as she eat and spit them out..

one more thing, it seems like she does not loss the appetite, but when she tried to eat some pellets, she seems to have difficulty in swallow, as she eat and spit them out..
That's usually an infection in the mouth/ throat area, a bit like a sore throat in people.

I had used metronidazole, also got a consultation from a vet on the line and she doesn't seem to be internal issue, as she has no cone shape fins.
Not sure what cone shaped fins have to do with an internal infection. However, if you used metronidazole then there shouldn't be any bad protozoans in the fish's intestine.

That's usually an infection in the mouth/ throat area, a bit like a sore throat in people.

Not sure what cone shaped fins have to do with an internal infection. However, if you used metronidazole then there shouldn't be any bad protozoans in the fish's intestine.
Thanks again. If it is infestion in throat area, would salt treatment helps?

Thanks Colins - it's been late as I forgot to come back and update. Turn out we got a vet to come and check, and the fish is surely without parasites, but she thinks it is due to internal problem.

The vet took her out and pick some "tissue" from her skin and check. After that the fish seems to be quite nervous, and die 2 hours afterwards.

Sad but a lesson learn, pretty sure she was kept in a too small tank before and got some desease. Again thanks for all the input.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back