Giant tower cap snail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I went to my LFS today to get a second rabbit snail and a mystery snail. I found some really cool snails and I asked an employee what kind they were. They are called Giant Tower Cap snails. I tried looking them up but I can't find much about them at all. I got the snail and figured I would care for it like the rest of my snails. Does anyone know anything about these snails? Thanks in advance.

He kind of looks like a rabbit snail but I was told he was a Giant Tower Cap snail and that's what he was listed as.

Attachments

• 20200613_192202_HDR.jpg
    20200613_192202_HDR.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200613_191842_HDR.jpg
    20200613_191842_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
  • 20200613_192146.jpg
    20200613_192146.jpg
    970.5 KB · Views: 192
My cousin had some of these at some point, not sure if she still does. They are in the same family as rabbit snails, though they aren't from the genus Tylomelania, the rabbit snails. This is Brotia herculea. They are livebearers and produce a lot of babies, though only a few times a year. They can get pretty big, the biggest I saw was around 8cm I would guess. I've heard they can get to 10cm.

They feed off of what many other snails will. Algae, detritus. They should be fed vegetables. They eat a lot and poop a lot. Very nice looking snails too, I may pick some up some day if she still has them.

My cousin had some of these at some point, not sure if she still does. They are in the same family as rabbit snails, though they aren't from the genus Tylomelania, the rabbit snails. This is Brotia herculea. They are livebearers and produce a lot of babies, though only a few times a year. They can get pretty big, the biggest I saw was around 8cm I would guess. I've heard they can get to 10cm.

They feed off of what many other snails will. Algae, detritus. They should be fed vegetables. They eat a lot and poop a lot. Very nice looking snails too, I may pick some up some day if she still has them.
Thank you

That looks like a giant MTS (Malaysian trumpet snail) to me...

Both the MTS and Brotia are part of the Cerithioidea, so similarities are to be expected. Though while the MTS is from the family Thiaridae, Brotia and rabbit snails are from the family Pachychilidae.
Yikes. If I only have one is there a good chance it's pregnant?
There is a fair chance that that may be the case. It takes them around two years to be able to breed, and it would need to be a female. So those factors would have to be met in order for it to be pregnant. You won't be able to tell if it is a male or a female, it's a gamble. How large is it btw? Apparently they should be about 6cm when they are sexually mature.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back