Giant Danios

Discomafia

mmm...
Reaction score
What is the minimum tank size for a school of six giant danios? I have already done some research into this, I just want to know what is your opinion...

If a 33 gallon (3'L x 12"B x 16"H) is enough, what else can I house with them?

I'd say your tank would be fine (about the minimum size). My advice is to keep basically anything peaceful with them but not very slow fish that might be unsettled by their speed and might struggle at feeding time.

So a BN pleco at the bottom for clean up duty would be no problem, then?

I'm not really looking to keep more fish in the mid/top level, I can't think of anything else to house with them that I like, so I'll just understock to be on the safe side...

How about getting more of them, or would there be insufficent swimming space?

The good thing is they will all use the whole tank together, so your stocking levels are really limited to volume and not space.

By all means try it as it is, but I think you might find the tank pretty sparse with nothing on the bottom. Luckily there is no lack of bottom dwellers that would work.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble
but no a 3ft tank is not long enough for a school of giants
The minimum I'd recomend is 4ft.
These loverly fish reach 15.2cm (6") and they are very very active and fast.
http://www.danios.odd-fish.net/danio/Giant.html

For your tank bengal danios(Devario devario) will be ok, they have similar markings to the giant but have a more arrow shaped body. They max out at
10cm (4")
http://www.danios.odd-fish.net/danio/Bengal.html

The-Wolf said:
I'm sorry to burst your bubble
but no a 3ft tank is not long enough for a school of giants
The minimum I'd recomend is 4ft.
These loverly fish reach 15.2cm (6") and they are very very active and fast.
http://www.danios.odd-fish.net/danio/Giant.html

For your tank bengal danios(Devario devario) will be ok, they have similar markings to the giant but have a more arrow shaped body. They max out at
10cm (4")
http://www.danios.odd-fish.net/danio/Bengal.html
[snapback]920626[/snapback]​

How do I tell the difference between the two? The giants are overall blue, and the bengals are not? Have any other pics of the two species that I can use to compare and contrast?

Any stocking ideas on what else can I get after I've gotten a school of bengals?

freddyk said:
Luckily there is no lack of bottom dwellers that would work.
[snapback]920598[/snapback]​

Care to elaborate? Apart from the BN pleco, would a school of 5 or 6 cories be alright? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Name a catfish or loach suitable for a tank of this size and it will work (If I name a couple I think it would sound way to limiting). Danio's are top dwellers and the bottom dwellers will exist completely seperate from them - they won't get in each others way, threaten each other, or compete with each other. The question is less what you can have, and more about what you can fit, and what you like.

Discomafia said:
How do I tell the difference between the two? The giants are overall blue, and the bengals are not? Have any other pics of the two species that I can use to compare and contrast?
Any stocking ideas on what else can I get after I've gotten a school of bengals?
[snapback]921198[/snapback]​

the main difference is the body shape. Giants are slender, almost torpedo shapped and bengals are more arrowhead shapped.
bengals are a brighter blue than giants and the yellow is also more pronounced.
worth noting that bengals are often sold as giants, as LFS often confuse the two species.

Bengal
benagl.jpg

Giant
giant.jpg

I keep my giants and bengals, along with a few other danios
with botias and other loaches. I also have my L200 in that tank
oh heck, just check my profile and see the list of 72gal tank.

I did at one time have cories with the giants & bengals and there was no problems at all.

Glad to know I can keep cories with them, didn't think there'd be any problems but had to ask just to be on the safe side. I think I saw some bengal danios (or was it giant...) at the lfs, I'll buy six tomorrow and post some pics with my lousy camera phone.

If they aren't bengals, but giants, I'll return them (good thing I'm good friends with the guy that works there).

Not interested in loaches as I can't see much of them, and the only pleco that I can find here that will fit into my tank would be a BN pleco. Clown plecos are hard to come by here, and same with the L numbers.

What about a farowella (sp?), I really like how they look! Do they swim in the open fairly often, and is a 33G big enough? Think I'll go do some research on them right away! :D

Sorry took so long and about bluriness. Tanks I got them at had them labeled as Giant Danios, but grow to 4" only. :S

Image02.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image.jpg

even with the blurryness the shape appears to be that of Giants.
if you have a sport setting on the camera try taking a pic using that
it may give you the best results.

No, I don't. It's just a camera in my crappy Nokia, so it isn't really the best to capture pics of fish.

After some calls, I have found a private buyer for the danios. Pleased to announce they will be relocated to a bigger home very soon! :D Still arranging where/when to meet.

Thanks for everything Wolf! We'd all be lost without your help! :p

freddyk - Thanks for your advice on bottom dwellers. I may know what to put in there soon, read my thread in the Catfish forum for more info.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back