GIANT DANIO WITH A HUBE BELLY (PLS HELP)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sanchay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there is me again...the dude with an overstocked tank :(....my 16g tank has 2 shubunkin gold fish and 2 giant danios (last time i told they were rainbow fish....m rly sorry about that....only now got a phone which was compatible with google lens...the lfs where i bought the fish from was no the usual lfs...they told these are rainbows)

last time you guys asked me to add more plants...and i did that....my tank is pretty stable...no spikes
the latest reading done yesterday tells
AMMONIA :0
NITRITE :0
NITRATE : 5PPM

recently i have been noticing one of the giant danio have a slightly larger belly than the other....and its also a little inactive(slightly inactive than the other danio) (not completely inactive)

I am not sure whether is this coz of overfeeding or something (as far as i have observed...when i overfed then..only the region right behind their gills and around the fins would bulge)....but this one is having a whole portion of the body puffed up....looks like a guppy from certain angles....it does not look like dropsy...as the scales aint sticking up and the fish is still active and eating just fine...i give them peas 2 times per week instead of pellets and if i manage to grow some mosquitoe larvae...i would give them that (they have been eating these larvaes for like the past 9 months....they dont seem to eat other worms like bloodworms)

I managed to grow around 10-15 mosquitoe larvaes which i fed them this morning(except for 1 of the shubunkin...the rest 3 gobbled up the worms...hunting them down between the plants)(i assume that shubunkin is vegan...only eats pellets and veggies)....but I have been noticing this big belly for the past few days

a video of the danio(pls try setting the video quality to max in order to see the bulge)
pls welp

Last edited:
At least the plants did what they were supposed to do. ;)

Can't see any bulge in the photo you've supplied.

To discount overfeeding...don't feed the fish for 3 days.

ah...hearing that adding the plants actually helped is good

1635684853808.png
1635685177760.png

can you see the bulge....this danio looks like a guppy....i am not sure whether is this an overfeeding issue...coz the other danio and the shubunkins are just fine having prober body shapes

also if these guys are overfed there would be a bulge...but that would be small....this one is really huge...like the part below the spine has kinda blown up like a guppy

also i guess you can see a difference between both the danios from the 12th second to the 14th second when they line up to school

i have no idea what gender both the danios are...but recently one of the danio (the bulged one) was continuously being chased by the other danio...i know these are not livebearers...

Fish don't need to be livebearers to reproduce. ;)

It is possible that this is a gravid (with eggs) female.
I stand by my previous advice.
so i isolate this fish then not feed it for 3 days?

coz if i need to fast this fish...all the others which are quite normal should also be fasted....

so i isolate this fish then not feed it for 3 days?

coz if i need to fast this fish...all the others which are quite normal should also be fasted....
Fasting fish is a good and normal habit to get into, so 3 days for all of them would not cause harm and it would save having to move the unwell fish, which, as I've said, should have its stress kept to a minimum.

Fasting fish is a good and normal habit to get into, so 3 days for all of them would not cause harm and it would save having to move the unwell fish, which, as I've said, should have its stress kept to a minimum.
oh...ok thx :)

coz i usually fast them once in a week...but have never made them fast for 3 days...will do it

All those plants have helped, I would say this is a female fish ripe with eggs.

its the 3rd day of fasting and the belly size has only reduced a little....i think what itiwhetu is telling maybe right....
all the fish in my tank have become aggressive now...and are literally attacking me when i put my hand in the water (danios swim fast...ram themselves on my hand....they bite me...even though its not painful....the goldfishes started giving bigger bites to my finger)

an you guys help me with determining the gender of the danios....both look like an exact copy of each other except for the pattern on their body...

i have noticed one thing tho....one of the danio keeps dominating the other and chases the other a lot of times...is that the male?

also should i be concerned about the shubunkins in the tank....last time mollies gave birth....they ate like half of them...while the rest were consumed by the mollies itself (my isolation tank was broken when the molly gave birth)

also...umm...i dont get it...

last time when i came here i had 4 mollies...you guys recommended me to return them....but it seems one of the moll fish gave birth to 4 more....which i only noticed 2 days after i returned them....when one of my goldfishes were chasing something small in the tank

one of the molly fish got brutally eaten alive in front of my eyes....one of them went missing (could the the goldfish again...not sure)
the other 2 mollies survived and aftoer around 30-40 days....they reached around 1 inch in size and were looking quite healthy...

again....as usual....they started wiggling in that dreaded corner...and one fine day...one of them died....and the next day the other...no symptom of any disease...I try my best to maintain the TDS around 300 and pH AROUND THE RANGE OF 7

I already had a lot of plants before these mollies died....

I did not actually face any kind of massive deaths like this when i had a smaller 5G tank...in that tank...i had waay worse conditions....around 10 mollies and 1 shubunkin....no plants....pure RO water with a TDS of around 100 (i was a newbie back then)

lets say...that set of mollies which was in the smaller tank suffered a lot...and hence their lifespan got reduced and all of them died real quick as soon as i moved them to the larger tank....but why did these fries die....even though they were given good conditions even though not the best?

also...umm...i dont get it...
What don't you get?
last time when i came here i had 4 mollies...you guys recommended me to return them....but it seems one of the moll fish gave birth to 4 more....which i only noticed 2 days after i returned them....when one of my goldfishes were chasing something small in the tank

one of the molly fish got brutally eaten alive in front of my eyes....one of them went missing (could the the goldfish again...not sure)
the other 2 mollies survived and aftoer around 30-40 days....they reached around 1 inch in size and were looking quite healthy...
That's why we told you to return them. The tank isn't big enough, for one thing. Another is that good fish care isn't measured by the number of stressed survivors. ;)

What don't you get?

That's why we told you to return them. The tank isn't big enough, for one thing. Another is that good fish care isn't measured by the number of stressed survivors. ;)
Like ik that..but isn't the consequence of having a small tank high levels of toxins in the water?

If I was able to maintain that with the plants and frequent water changes..then the only reason for a fish to get stressed is the lack of space to swim right?

But the mollies were still fries and were only around 2-3cm (they refused to eat everything other than pellets and egg yolk) long by the end of the first month...and I did not see any kind of stress in the fish before they died...

Like they were fine yesterday...interacted with me..ate food..was active..constantly scraping off the algae off the glass and the decors.and the next day morning .the fry is dead...(a stressed fish usually would get scared easily..stay inactive..does not eat..breathes fast..or they frantically move around...or always hide somewhere...or always stays on the surface..both the mollies which grew up showed none of these)

Is it something to do with the algae??
Coz my goldfish and danios don't eat the algae from the glass..but my mollies did

Like ik that..but isn't the consequence of having a small tank high levels of toxins in the water?
No...the consequence of an inadequately cycled tank and/or poor tank maintenance is a high level of toxins in the water.
If I was able to maintain that with the plants and frequent water changes..then the only reason for a fish to get stressed is the lack of space to swim right?
The lack of swim space and incompatible tank mates...as well as the wrong sort of water.
But the mollies were still fries and were only around 2-3cm (they refused to eat everything other than pellets and egg yolk) long by the end of the first month...and I did not see any kind of stress in the fish before they died...
See previous.
Like they were fine yesterday...interacted with me..ate food..was active..constantly scraping off the algae off the glass and the decors.and the next day morning .the fry is dead...(a stressed fish usually would get scared easily..stay inactive..does not eat..breathes fast..or they frantically move around...or always hide somewhere...or always stays on the surface..both the mollies which grew up showed none of these)
See previous.
Is it something to do with the algae??
Coz my goldfish and danios don't eat the algae from the glass..but my mollies did
Highly unlikely...unless you have blue-green algae...which is actually a bacteria, some species of which can be toxic. If it was this, then your other fish would be ill as well.

No...the consequence of an inadequately cycled tank and/or poor tank maintenance is a high level of toxins in the water.

The lack of swim space and incompatible tank mates...as well as the wrong sort of water.

See previous.

See previous.

Highly unlikely...unless you have blue-green algae...which is actually a bacteria, some species of which can be toxic. If it was this, then your other fish would be ill as well.
oh...ok then....how can i tell that my fish are stressed now?

are my current fish stressed?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back