Giant 8 inch Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

One_Phat_Pleco

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 8 inch pleco and im planning to sell it after a year. How big will the pleco get by then? I feed it bottom feeder pellets and algae disks.

Crooked Pleco tail.jpg

How old is your plec now? Have you had it since a baby? How big and how frequent are your water changes? The rate at which fish grow can vary a lot, depending on those factors.

I feel I need to add a word of warning. Just because a fish is large, doesn't mean it's going to be worth any money.

I wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but large, common plecs are, basically, worth almost nothing, especially, I'm sorry to say, ones that are already suffering from a deformity, or that are potentially stunted :/

People needing to rehome plecs that have outgrown their tanks struggle to find anyone to take them. I follow a fish rescue and welfare group that tries to rehome fish like this, and it's always difficult to find someone who can care for the fish properly.

I totaly agree with what Fluttermouth said.

My LFS has a fish rescue program and they cant give the fish away let alone sell them.

You can have any fish in this tank free they will even deliver within 200 kilometers of the store provided you have a suitable tank.

cW43LIv.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...well I had this pleco when I got the tank (it was pre-owned) which was a month ago. The owner didn't really seem to care about the fish and the tank smelled like a century year old Porta-potty. He said he cleaned the tank every week but he hadn't cleaned it in a year. So, I had no other choice to save the poor thing. I have been doing 50% water changes once per week or twice if the water is bad. The tank itself is a mess. There is missing sealant, a DIY silicon sealing job on the OUTSIDE, NO HEATER, never tests the water (probably 1000ppm of Nitrate before I bought the tank), the list goes on.

Water quality

Nitrate-10ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Hardness-150ppm
Chlorine-0ppm
Alkalinity-60ppm
pH-7.8

Also, my LFS store sells baby plecos for 6$-10$ that are 5in. 20$ for the XL plecs (6-8in). And I have never seen a pleco for more than that. They do also sell very rare plecos like blue-eyed plecs, lots of goldies, Royals, Phantoms, and even vampires. All for 100$-330$. If you want you can checkout Aquatek at Burnet road in Austin, TX.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back