April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

soniamakowski

Reaction score
Hello, I'm interested to know if these measurements are good for my fish tank. I might have tested a bit too soon so I will test tomorrow aswell and keep you all updated. Also please link any website below that show what the levels of the water should be! I will attach a picture of the measurements below!
20200926_154353.jpg

You don't give a reading for ammonia. If you are using test strips, you need to buy a separate test for ammonia. It is very important to have tests for ammonia and nitrite as these are killers in a tank.

Ammonia and nitrite must be zero. When there are fish in a tank, if either of these show above zero, a water change must be done to keep the fish safe.

Nitrate should be kept below 20 ppm.

GH 30 is very soft water. It is not suitable for guppies, which are hard water fish. The website https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ has profiles of thousands of fish and they give the GH range for each species. Some give GH in ppm and some in dH. Your 30 ppm converts to 1.7 dH.

KH is not directly important to fish; it stabilises pH, and at 120 ppm, your KH is high enough to prevent your pH changing.

From reading your other threads, this is a brand new 10 gallon tank and you want to keep guppies. Unfortunately, your water is too soft for guppies but is ideal for some of the soft water nano fish such as chili rasboras ( Boraras brigittae) or perhaps ember tetras.

Before getting fish you do need to cycle the tank. You can do this in one of two ways - a fishless cycle using ammonia, or a silent cycle using plants.

This is the method for fishless cycling https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Silent cyclng depends on having a lot of fast growing plants in the tank, which will use the ammonia amde by fish as fertiliser. You mention having live plants but not what they are or how many. If you could tell us about your plants we;ll be able to guide you through a plant cycle, if that's the method you'd prefer to use.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back