Gh & Kh Can You Explain

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DaveA76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
the kids (wife) got me a test kit for fathers day and cant get my head around the hardness 1, its the api tester and the KH takes 11 drops to change colour and the GH takes 9 drops to change colour, can someone tell me what the hadress is in degrees please and explain in layman terms what both of these mean
thankyou

other than that my other results are
PH 7.6
ammonia 0-0.25ppm
nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm

What does the booklet which came with the kit say? They usually have a drops to degrees and ppm conversions in them.

Carbonate hardness(KH)is a measure of the alkalinity of water caused by the presence of carbonate (CO32-) and bicarbonate (HCO3-) ions. This is important to fishkeepers as it will affect your pH, generally the higher the KH the your pH will be.
General hardness(GH)is a measure of the concentration of metal divalent ions such as calcium and magnesium in a given amount of water. Fish come from waters with different GH values (and KH values), a good example is fish from south america enjoy soft water or water with a low GH+KH value and fish from lake mbuna live in water with a high GH+KH value, hard water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back