Gh And Kh Hardness

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dsage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i did my test last night and notice that my GH & KH was a little high compared to what i normally have it at. i use API test kits and it said that my GH was 12 drops and the KH is 14 drops. im a little worried because the instructions say that this level is for goldfish and my tank is a saltwater tank. does anyone know how i can lower it back to normal again. my calcium was 420ppm, ammonia was 0ppm, nitrite was 0ppm, nitrate was 0ppm and my pH is 8.2 the gavity is 1.021. so i dont know what caused this to increase. is there away to lower the GH & KH or will it naturally lower its self?
any advice would be great because i am a little worried about my fish.

here is the link to the instruction of my test.
http://cms.marsfishcare.com/uploads/gh%20and%20kh%20test%20kit%20and%20kh%20test%20kit%2058-59%20insert.pdf

thanks in advance.

Honestly, I wouldn't fiddle with these levels. They are not that far above. I'm not one to fiddle much with things anyway. As long as it stable. How are the fish doing? How old are the test kits? How long has the tank been setup? Size? Stocking?

L

Honestly, I wouldn't fiddle with these levels. They are not that far above. I'm not one to fiddle much with things anyway. As long as it stable. How are the fish doing? How old are the test kits? How long has the tank been setup? Size? Stocking?

L

thanks for the reply,

my tank has been going for about 4 months now. its 55gallons and only has 3 fish in it and two hermit crabs. they are looking fine but my cleaner shrimp died last night and i had him for 2 months. i brought the test kits in november.
So you think i should just leave it and let it sort it self out?

L

thanks for the reply,

my tank has been going for about 4 months now. its 55gallons and only has 3 fish in it and two hermit crabs. they are looking fine but my cleaner shrimp died last night and i had him for 2 months. i brought the test kits in november.

How did you acclimate the shrimp? What is your water change regimen? Do you currently dose anything and what salt do you use?

L

L

thanks for the reply,

How did you acclimate the shrimp? What is your water change regimen? Do you currently dose anything and what salt do you use?

L

i had him in the bag that he came in when i brought him and then put him in the tank for 30mins still in the bag then i let him out. i do a 20% water change once a month and put Special Blend water conditinor in, TheraP, Kent purple tech, Kent Nano reef Part A & B, kent Pro-dechlorinator, Kent pro-ammonia detox and Essential Elements and the salt is aqua medic reef salt.

what do you mean by do i currently dose anything?

That's what it was. Shrimp need to be drip acclimated.

Special Blend water conditinor , TheraP, Kent purple tech, Kent Nano reef Part A & B, kent Pro-dechlorinator, Kent pro-ammonia detox and Essential Elements
Is what you currently dose, unless theres more

IMO I would suggest getting an RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit or buy RO water, and stop using dechorinator, ammonia detox, and water conditioner.
Have no idea what TheraP is so can't comment on that, corraline algae will form on its own so would suggest not using kent purple-i believe it can raise calc too.
If everything looks healthy you should be ok, additional forttnightly water changes with fresh salted RO assuming you are not using RO already may help
ps sorry to hear about your shrimp as mentioned above all new addiitons should be drip acclimatised

Hi. Are you measuring levels for all the chemicals you are 'dosing' your tank with?
Are you measuring Iodine, iodide and free Iodine?
Are you measuring strontium levels?
Magnesium?

If you are NOT, I strongly recommend that you stop this 'dosing'. Although unlikely, no one here can tell you if you poisoned your shrimp. Regular water changes, checking you Ca2+ levels, possibly Mg2+ levels should be fine. Test what you are dosing. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back