Getting Sand! Need Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

az9

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi! this is my first time having sand. i already i have to rinse it but when i put it in do i need to take the fish out while i'm putting it in? and do i need to turn off the filter? and any other advice would be much appreciated! thanks!!! :D  

As I have understood, You'll want to turn the filters off while putting it in. The water will turn a little cloudy but will clear up. Wait for 2 or 3 hrs for all the dust to settle or it will get sucked into your impeller and burn it up.

I had no problem with my play sand.  I just rinsed it good and turned off the filter till everything was settled.  I'd take out the fish if I were you.  My fish love sand so much better than gravel.  Good luck with it!

I left my fish in the tank when I switched from gravel to sand...no problems.

I put sand in most of my tanks the old fashioned, with lots of rinsing.  Still the water was very dusty and cloudy for days afterward but in the end, it was well worth it.

I haven't tried this method myself but it looks like it works great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8

do you think the fish will be fine in a bucket for 2 or 3 hours???

I use play sand .. If you wash it well and put it slowly in with a jug you should not get hardly any cloudiness , I do it a lot when I top up

yeah i was planning on getting play sand. thanks!

I was just browsing the forums, and I myself was considering getting sand... Is sand easier to care for than gravel?

i'm not sure... but it might take me a while because i have to get the gravel out before i put the sand in. :p

Kellene said:
I was just browsing the forums, and I myself was considering getting sand... Is sand easier to care for than gravel?
It's swings and roundabouts, Kellene, tbh! Sand is 'easier' in that all the crud sits on top of the sand, rather than falling through the gaps, like it does with gravel, so it's easier to see the poop and get it out.
On the other hand, you can't use a gravel cleaner in the same way you do on gravel; there's a bit of knack you have to get to suck up the poop and not too much sand.

az9 said:
i'm not sure... but it might take me a while because i have to get the gravel out before i put the sand in.
tongue2.gif
Oh, if you've got to take your gravel out first, I would definitely remove the fish; you will not believe the amount of crud that's going to be stuck down there; however rigorous you are about gravel cleaning!

I  used pool filter sand in my 55 gallon as I know that the play sand in my area is of low quality and rather dirty. I spent probably twenty minutes rinsing all of the sand in the tank and I experienced NO cloudiness. :3 My cories love sand and it looks very nice. I have also had much more luck growing plants in sand than I have in gravel.

I have a friend that suggested pool filter sand instead of playsand for that very reason.  Well that and he said the small shiny bits in the playsand are mica, which isn't supposed to be good for fish.  Maybe someone can confirm?

i got the sand in and it looks great!!! i can't beleave how much crap was in there! i did take the fish out and i'm waiting for it too settle.can i have the filter going while i'm waiting for it to settle?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back