Getting Rid Of Ick On Clown Loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LoachLover

Snails Beware
Reaction score
Well I went to my LFS and got 4 clown loaches that had ick (also spelled ich, people are confusing :lol:)

Yes I got sick fish on purpose, the store owner is stupid so he is very willing to sell sick fish.

One would ask "Why did you buy sick fish on purpose?" Because I wanted to try something and I don't have any sick clown loaches :lol:

So I took two 10 gallon tanks, put in some cultured sand in both of them, same water from one of my 55 gallon tanks, some fake plants, and some caves. I made both tanks virtually the same.
I took two clown loaches and put them in one tank, I took the other two and put them in the other tank.

I then began to treat both tanks to try to cure the fish. In tank one I used the classic "salt bath" and in tank two I used QuICK Cure (Can Be Bought At Walmart).

By the end of the week the fish I did the "salt bath" with both had died from ick, the fish that I used the QuICK Cure on were both cured. Everyday I used the QuICK cure, 1 drop for every gallon.

i wish i had read your posting earlier....

i had 4 clowns sick with ICH as well... they later passed to almost all the fishes in my tank.... wipe them out within a week... left me we 3 corydoras.....

anyway, i found out that coppersave is too strong for fishes.......

Back when I still had some clown loaches one of them got ich and I used Jungle ich clear on him... worked like a charm! I'm proud to say I've never lost a fish to ich :D

pnyklr3 said:
Not to question you (because I certainly don't know any better), but is it ok to use salt with scaleless fish?
That's not really the point, a lot of people said that they can treat ich on loaches with a salt bathe, so I tested it. Obviously it doesn't work.

yepp i treated my clowns with quick cure..that was the most efective after tryin around 5 different meds..the jungle one.was a complete waste of money :no:

kevin007 said:
yepp i treated my clowns with quick cure..that was the most efective after tryin around 5 different meds..the jungle one.was a complete waste of money :no:
Sorry to hear that, I'll remember not to use that stuff

LoachLover said:
kevin007 said:
it's just from my experience though..other then clown loaches, none of my other fish had ick :) and for some reason my cories never seem to get ick...it's like they are immune :hyper:

Wow, well I've only had one Clown Loach ever get ich and a male betta.

kevin007 said:
LoachLover said:
kevin007 said:
yepp i treated my clowns with quick cure..that was the most efective after tryin around 5 different meds..the jungle one.was a complete waste of money  :no:
it's just from my experience though..other then clown loaches, none of my other fish had ick :) and for some reason my cories never seem to get ick...it's like they are immune :hyper:
Hi!

If you refer to my reply above, you would have seen that after a bout of ICH, only my cory survive.... I too thot they were immune to ICH...

The truth of the matter is that while they doesn't seems to show the white spots commonly notice in a ICH attack, they can carry the bacteria....

I sometimes see my cory flicking.... i suspect that may be one of the sign that they are carrying the bacteria....

if not, i hope osmeone else can advice me on what's wrong..... my cory seems sick at the moment...

I had 3, but lost one yesterday morning.....

The water parameter reads 0 for NH3/4, No3 and PH is 7.5

The 2 cory is not eating... and swims near the top of the tank, taking gulps of air from the top more frequently than usual....... any help?

The burmese loach is the same way, you can't see the white spots like you can on most fish, you just see them flicking themselves against rocks or wood or something.

Ick isn't bacteria, it's a parasite.
The reason your cories did not get it was probably because they're armored.
When I had ick in my 29, All my loaches died, but my dojos and cichlids were as healthy as could be!

I will try to get a hold of some quICK cure though, sounds like a good investment. :nod:

LoachLover said:
pnyklr3 said:
Not to question you (because I certainly don't know any better), but is it ok to use salt with scaleless fish?
That's not really the point, a lot of people said that they can treat ich on loaches with a salt bathe, so I tested it. Obviously it doesn't work.
In your case it didn't work. I have successfully treated clown loaches with ich using 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon for a period of a few weeks. No fish died, the tank had all scaleless fish (loaches, catfish, bichirs).

Don't think because it didn't work for you that you can generalize your results to all fish. There are too many variables to control for, even though you think you may have covered all of them, theres just too many to catch.

I didn't say the salt bathe never works, it just didn't work for me.

I had a tank full of fish (mbunas and barbs) with my clown loaches and one of them came down with ich when I put some crushed coral in the filter to raise the ph for the mbunas. Well it raised it instantly like up a whole point (to ph 8.0). One of the clown loaches came down with ich BAD. I know you live and you learn it was stupid.

Anyway.....I dosed them with the amount of salt someone recommended to me and upped the temp to I think it was 80-82 degrees, for 3-6 weeks I think it was. I didn't add all the salt at one time...just a nice dose everyday...took me a week to get the right dose in there....I had already learned my lesson about changing things too fast. :)

It cured the ich and everyone was fine....just make sure you do a water change immediately after treatment is over.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back