Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Getting rid of fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by Hazydays, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Hazydays

Hazydays New Member

I simply want to change up my stocking because I don’t like the look of my fish anymore. What’s the best way to get rid of them? Will they miss me? Is it bad? Cheers.

2. Fishmanic

Fishmanic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

You took on the responsibility of providing for these fish when you originally got them. Unless you know someone that has a tank to properly care for them, I would recommend keeping them in their present tank and possibly buying another tank and equipment to get the other fish that you want.

3. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator

I have to agree with Fishmanic. If you can find someone who will properly care for them then that’s great. Don’t dump them in any waterway or flush them. It’s your responsibility to make sure they continue to be cared for. Good luck!

4. Hazydays

Hazydays New Member

What about giving them away to a shop? I’ve recently added small fish that seem to hide most of the time. Their like babies I do want to keep them just there are more bigger ones.

5. Fishmanic

Fishmanic Moderator

The best bet is to get another tank if you can afford it. Chance are that a shop won't want them. You need to research the needs of any fish you buy...like compatability, parameter needs, tank size when they grow to full size etc. Post here with the type of fish you have or want and post your water hardness, ph, tank size and maybe someone here can guide you.

6. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator

You can check your Lfs. Mine took some once. It’s worth a try.

7. AKfish

AKfish Fish Fanatic

This is your hobby and either you have something you enjoy or you can change things up. I 100% understand what everyone is telling you. But if hat was how everyone looked at it there would be no fish trade. People would keep wild caught fish they never got rid of. But just as it's ok for a fish breeder, pet store or local fish shop to sell you a fish. Just as ok for you to sell or even give one away. I would suggest not giving it away. If someone pays even a little money they have a world more invested in it then nothing lol. Also why free puppies or anything aren't a good idea. Anyway, this is your hobby. You have to find your own path to doing it that makes you happy or else the care of your fish will suffer anyway. Hope that helps. Oh also if your trying to donate fish to a store. Try the smaller personally owned places. Petco and chain shores probably won't. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Ring a few pet shops and see if they will take your fish. Most shops give you a store credit for healthy fish and you can use that to purchase some different fish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lunar Jetman

Lunar Jetman Chatroom Moderator
    Chatroom Moderator

With one exception, over the last 31 years i've always kept any fish I have bought. Always felt unfair to buy them and then just get rid of them.

The exception was Synodontis that was getting so large he was eating anything else I put in the tank so I took him to my LFS and they added him to their specimen tank that had a number of different fish.

As Colin says though, you may find your LFS will take back or exchange your fish, although they might be reluctant if it becomes a regular occurrence.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator

@AKfish, I’m confused. I think you said the same thing we’ve already said??? How are you looking at it differently? We suggested finding a taker or giving to Lfs. I believe that’s exactly what you said. Isn’t it?

11. AKfish

AKfish Fish Fanatic

it

12. AKfish

AKfish Fish Fanatic

He was getting a bit of it was his responsibility to see them through. That was what I was responding too my friend. I know the guilt you can feel with having to give up an animal. I didn't want to add to that guilt but insty I will

• Like Like x 1
  13. AKfish

AKfish Fish Fanatic

Sorry posted before I finish. But that's all I was trying to do. My comment agreed with a couple and disagreed with a couple.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hazydays

Hazydays New Member

Some interesting feedback here.. Thanks to those who didn’t assume I was going to flush my fish down the toilet, I just simply fancied a change. Fish aren’t like dogs they don’t get attached to their owners, I’d still not do anything to ever harm them.